Author Topic: DSL tweaking  (Read 8276 times)

Offline Bogart

• A New Nut
  • ZYALADA
DSL tweaking
« on: February 09, 2003, 03:18:41 am »
I've been through the forums and links on tweaking my dsl to get the most out of it with not a lot of luck.  I've got cablenut program dl and have tried to input some figures with no success.  I've ran speakeasy and avg around 1135 kbps dl and 140 kbps ul.  Here's my analyzer info:

TCP options string = 020405a001010402

MTU = 1480
MTU is optimized for Windows XP PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.

MSS = 1440
Maximum useful data in each packet = 1440, which equals MSS.
MSS is optimized for Windows XP PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for maximum throughput.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 63888
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
Unscaled Receive Window = 63888
For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.
Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
506880 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
253440 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
126720 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
 63360 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product:
Your RcvWindow limits you to: 2555.52 kbps (319.44 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your RcvWindow limits you to: 1022.208 kbps (127.776 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 41 hops
TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349)= 00000000

Not quite sure what my advertised speed is supposed to be.  I use SBC Yahoo DSL if that is any help.  
I also noticed in another forum you had some information with a link but I was a bit hesitant to just run the registry without consent.  Here's the info in the forum:

OK then your MTU should be 1480, use the following fix from Bob Carrick to set it:

1) Download this file http://www.carricksolutions.com/XP_MTU.reg
2) Right click the file and choose "Merge"
3) Click "Yes"
4) Go to "Start" -> Click on "Run" -> Type in "Regedt32.exe" -> Click "OK"
5) Go to this Reg Key "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\NdisWan\ Parameters\Protocols\0]"
6) Double click on "Protocol MTU"
7) Click on "Decimal" -> Enter your desired value (I.E.: Anything less then 1480.)  Use 1480
8) Click "OK"
9) Done!

If you have any help you can throw my way to input in the cablenut program to get my dsl smoking I would truely appreciate it.  I hope I've given you all the information needed.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2003, 03:24:27 am by _Bogart_M »

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Re:DSL tweaking
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 03:44:55 am »
Welcome to the board
We decided to put out our own MTU fix since the one from carrick solutions left it a touch lower
heres that download
http://broadbandnuts.com/files/pppoefix2kxp.zip
It includes a return to default

As for the entries into the program download the
Cablenut Addon Update at the top of this page in the links. It has the settings your looking for.
Your Caps are 1500 down and 256 upload
OR 1.5Mb which = 187.5KB/sec download
256kbps = 32KB/sec upload
On SBC you should be able to get to 85 to 92% of your download speed depending on how far you are from the CO (connection office) you might get more.

Also at the bottem of this page download the program "spybot search and destroy and Lavasoft Ad-aware. the two programs together will find and destroy expliotes on your machine that are using bandwidth.
Thats to include advertisers that track you and certain programs that collect all your info and send it to the web. If you have in exsess of 50 or more that can slow you up as much as 150kbps and make opening pages real slow.
Some of the worst are
Gain
Gator corporation (includes gain)
LOP
Cydor
Comet cursor
the ones just listed should and are starting to be listed more as a trogen in some places

So far you dont look to bad but I think it can be better.
I have SBC I get 92% of my advertised speed at 6000 feet from the CO
I also have Cyberonic and I get 98% but the two connections are totally different

Lastley which software are you using to connect
SBC Enternet or the built in drivers from Microsoft
Also have you thought about a router they can have a great effect. Less resourses used on your machine and more reliable.

Again welcome to the forum  8)
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Bogart

• A New Nut
  • ZYALADA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 04:56:26 am »
Man I didn't expect anyone to be up at this time except me, hehe.  Thanks for the quick response.  I went ahead and dl the update and ran a speed test and it actually went down from the one I sent earlier.  Do I need to do anything to the cablenut adjuster program or is just saving the info in the registry all that's needed?  I know it's hard to help when you're not actually able to see what's going on with the person you're helping.  I'm trying to learn all I can and I hope this isn't too frustrating.  I really appreciate your help!

Oh yeah and the spybot program had installed way back when I got the first taste Gator.  That Gator crap was a nightmare.  That spybot program is awesome!

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 05:12:33 am »
In the update you want to pick the .CCS file that matchs closests to your connection.
What you want to try is the folder marked "WinXP_2KDSL" use the file "DSL PPPoE 1500 256" OR you can try my universal file called "DANNJR_DSL_1500" The only difference you want to make to DANNJR_DSL is to add the "TcpWindowSize" to the "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"

Not all connections are created equil  ;D So we might have to make some minor adjustment.

Also in WinXP/2K  or any other OS by Microsoft you should assign a fake IP address as outlines here http://dslnuts.com/pppoe/Stalls.htm One thing it dosent mention is setting the Gateway in the advanced setion to Metric 1 that can have a big effect in XP and could get you to 99% I know it will with a router.

As for being up.. Im monitoring the site at the moment after yesterdays attack plus I had a ton of weird to catch up on  ;D

I know allot to take in take it slow Esp at this weird hour ;D
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Bogart

• A New Nut
  • ZYALADA
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 05:47:29 am »
Yeah I read the post about the attack, sorry it had to happen to such a great site.  Man some people I just don't understand.  

I'm probably being stupid and I hope you have patience, you spoke of a file "DSL PPPoE 1500 256" or "DANNJR_DSL_1500" now are those files in the folder marked "WinXP_2KDSL"?  If so I don't have those in there.  Is there an update I missed out on or am I just not quite doing it right?  I'm sorry for my lack of understanding.

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 05:59:01 am »
No problem
Here's the link its kinda hidden @ 5:30am  ;D
http://dslnuts.com/files/CABLENUT_UPDATE.exe

Download it and save to someplace in your programs or download folders. There not going to install to the default program but gives you added settings in a few extra folders with a Few extra settings for you to mess with  ;D

Offline Bogart

• A New Nut
  • ZYALADA
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 06:14:36 am »
I guess I should of searched a little farther to find the update, thanks for given it to me.  

I used a couple of the ones in the update and it bumped it to 1155 kbps.  A little better I think there's something else I'm not doing right.  Oh I ran another analyzer and it still shows my MTU at 1480.  I thought it should of been at 1492 or 1500 depending on which one I saved to registry.  Once again did I have a brain fart and screwed up?