Author Topic: DSL tweaking  (Read 6930 times)

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Re:DSL tweaking
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2003, 06:26:07 am »
I guess I should of searched a little farther to find the update, thanks for given it to me.  

I used a couple of the ones in the update and it bumped it to 1155 kbps.  A little better I think there's something else I'm not doing right.  Oh I ran another analyzer and it still shows my MTU at 1480.  I thought it should of been at 1492 or 1500 depending on which one I saved to registry.  Once again did I have a brain fart and screwed up?  
At this time of the morning anything is possible.

Did you get a chance to read through this thread yet.
Theirs some added info that might be missing from the senerio
http://www.dslnuts.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=350

Since your on PPPoE the highest amount in the MTU you'll ever see is 1492.
The first file you had installed for the MTU only brought the NDIS up to 1400 even though it showed 1480.

The other fact is and I forgot about is that SBC does have areas that the upload is only 128 in that case we might be hitting the settings wrong. You might want to try the 1500x128 just to see..
AND as just a reminder in case you havent done so
With each new setting no matter what it is you need to do a full reboot for the settings to take.

Just call me Mush as in Mush head  ;D
As far as finding that link happens all the time.. It will be on the main pages soon  ;)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2003, 01:23:28 pm by Buggyman »
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2003, 07:34:31 am »
Something I forgot to mention is the DSL wiring guide you might want to look at that.
the primary reason for the guide is to kill Radio RF type noise BUT you might want to look at the connections for corossion as well.. Added resistance = slower speed
Having your modem under your monitor or near a 900mhz or 2.4Ghz phone base will slow you down too
Some halogen lamps have been known to interfere.

If you have a phone like I mentioned simply move th base to a different room the phone can still be used. Its the station that makes for the problem  
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Bogart

• A New Nut
  • ZYALADA
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2003, 07:53:46 am »
I was looking at some of the wiring info on one of the threads and wanted to run some cat-5 cables but since I live in an apartment I might get myself kicked out for drilling holes or doing any other mods without consent, hehe ;D.  I've been thru that thread a couple of times and did just about everything.  I did the fake IP tweak which made a huge diffrence at start up.  No waiting on PPPoE crap.  Also did the NIC duplex tweak and that helped too.   The only thing I couldn't find was the MTU Ethernet fix.  DSL Enternet MTU Fix:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Class/Net/000n/Ndi/params/MaxFrameSize/"max" ....
Where it says /Class/ I had nothing in my registry following in the order shown.  

I used the "DSL PPPoE 1500 256", the 128 and your personal settings and still only got about 1135-1155.  
I'm trying to calculate some on my own since I've finally got a better understanding of some of this stuff by chatting with you. I'll probably try to use some of the other ones listed in the update too.

If you have any other suggestions throw them my way.  
I'm sorry I'm not having much luck, but I am learning.

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2003, 08:08:16 am »
Im gonna double chk that registry thing. I dont have that either and I think its only for Winpoet. Be glad you dont have that..

BUT since you live in an apartment and Im sure you dont want to get kicked.
Two ways of going about it if your good with wiring offer to add Cat5 into the building if its not a big job. We did that with one place.. The idea behind it was that now the owner could offer additional lines as well as cleaner connection.
The other way is make real sure that all your connection are real clean and that none of them including the phones are wired backward.
The Backward thing can mess you up too..

Also I wont get to involved with this part "Ahem" But if you have others interested "ahem" a router can make allot of sence  ;D SBC says its your network  ;D
more on that youll have to PM me

Offline Bogart

• A New Nut
  • ZYALADA
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 09:01:58 am »
I heard that Winpoet was a mess.  The wiring the building might not be a bad idea.  I've done alot of electrical wiring so I would have no problem there.

I went out to the box when I first got here and everything looked really new, mainly because the apartments are only a couple of years old.  

I've thought about trying out the router again but I just don't know.  It would be nice to be able to hook up all my online consoles plus my puter and not have to unhook and rehook all my cat-5 cables.

I sent you a PM too.

Offline Bogart

• A New Nut
  • ZYALADA
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 11:24:22 pm »
Hey Dan how goes it?  Hopefully no more attackers!

Anyway, I was looking at the ethernet hack that you talked to about and if I was looking at the correct one I don't believe it will work for me cause I have Win XP.  Maybe I was looking at the wrong one!  
I did try to install the RASPPPoE program but ran into problems and aborted that mission.

I thought I'd ask if there was anything else you could possible think of to get a consistent dl speed.  I've dl some things off some websites to see what I dl at and it starts out really good.  Most of the time it starts out at around 400-500 kbps and then jumps up to around 800-900 kbs instantly and then after about 5-10 seconds of dl at 900 kbps it drops quickly to a stable 150 kbps.  What's the deal!  It would be great if it would stay up around 700 kbps consistently.  Is there anything you can think of that I could do to keep it stable before I go tweaking again?
Here's an example:
I dl a 47 mb file in about 5 minutes

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2003, 12:30:49 am »
^^Chk your PM^^ maybe that will fix it  ;D