Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 1668 times)

Offline abarlow17

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
Help needed please
« on: February 12, 2003, 10:45:56 pm »
Please can you help. I am getting a ADSL line from Sprint (1.5ghz/256mhz) within the next few days. I want to use your software however I looks very daunting and I need some questions cleared up please.
1. On your tips page the first two settings include 'multiply your ISP download caps' into the equation. I have looked through Sprint's website and have not been able to find any reference to a cap. If its does not have a cap what setting do I use (I am using Windows XP)
2. On another post you talk about removing something to do with the NEC card settings and said about removing what is not necessary. How would I know what is used and what is not. Please explain more clearly.
3. Is there any differences in the settings between the different speeds that can be bought and if so what settings do I need to change for my settings?. Do I use your CSC files for instance (if there is one)
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Re:Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 12:40:02 am »
welcome to the board  8)

To answer your first question you already answered that for us  ;D  1.5Mb/256kbps <- are your caps
except you typesd it as 1.5ghz/256mhz which is ok your new to all this so welcome to broadband too..
1.5Mb = 187.5KB/sec downlod. Be happy if you get 160KB/sec
ON the "NIC" (network interface card) hold off on that till your connected and all is running. Spend some time cleaning up the OS like running ad-aware and Spybot search and destroy.
All the spystuff will kill the new connection or interfere with you getting settup..

as for other speeds DSL
Yes there are all sorts of flavors
some of the more popular are
1.5Mb/128
1.5Mb/768
768/128
256/128
IDSL = 144x144

The patchs in the Cablenut addon update at the top of this page will help all of the added patchs have the caps to the settings and type of OS with different sizes

best of luck with the new connection when you get it and your ready let us know.. Hopefully they dont give you a USB modem or a router from netopia..
The best way is bridged mode with a regular network card and speedstream bridge/modem

again welcome to the board

Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline abarlow17

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 06:31:02 pm »
O.k dannjr thanks for your reply - yes im a rookie :-)
My modem is a Sprint product model 645M-PLUS MODEM-BRIDGE. Is this a good modem or is there a better alternative. I have looked around but see no DSL modems for sale in the normal places (I understand the reasoning behind this). Please let me know what you think.
My DSL should be up tommorow I am being told so I am getting excited. I have downloaded cablenut software (and add on) and are ready to install.
Can anyone also tell me what Microsoft services are important for using DSL. Thanks

Offline abarlow17

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 06:40:37 pm »
I just found out on the website that my Modem is a Zyxel make. Is this good or bad ?

Offline abarlow17

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 07:28:33 pm »
It also seems I get a choice of Efficient Networks 5260 modem - is this a better one than Zyxel. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 10:04:02 pm »
Efficient Networks 5260 modem By far better

the other can run hot and has other issuse.

I bet your real excited as you should be once youve had it youll never go back to dialup..
Keep in mind that the best laid plans sometimes can end up a mess.. Been there done that.. I wish you all the best of luck with it  ;D
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.