Author Topic: Difference in using ccs for ppoe  (Read 3824 times)

mccoffee

Re:Difference in using ccs for ppoe
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2003, 01:54:46 pm »
 Earthlink that's the promblem   u are on the right track by   removing software       from     a proxy sever i hope this is a good answer means   u log on to it to get  the internet but it filters information out.   Like for example if u have kids but i'm sure u heard of it kids at school using the net    trying to access bad sites    if  a kid did that the proxy will say this is bad I can't let u see it.  

Ok   Earthlink is  ppoe    to do this http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2003, 02:06:06 pm »
You either need to remove and install RASPPPoE from the link mccoffee gave you or do the fix to Enternet 300 http://dslnuts.com/pppoe.shtml If you have the connection software from them called Winpoet. thats most of the problem.

Earthlink software not the software mentioned above dosnt always uninstall fully You might have toreinsatll and uninstall it again.

Your email address stays with you for life with earthlink or untill you decide to remove it and get a new one.

Proxy server is basically a server that caches web sites and you get them faster.. Earthlink has moved some of there clients that have Covad circuits to covad. that was done to save money and put you on covad routers that are acting similar to proxy with backhole routers in the mix.
This allows them to get you online with less cost in IP address's that they would normally have to pay for. They keep you local and squeeze you out onto the Internet with a few thousnd extra people. This also allows them to track you better. With or without software on your machine
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline abarlow17

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2003, 07:37:12 pm »
Now I am totally confused (maybe my fault)
I DO NOT have a PPoe DSL connection
My earthlink software was previously loaded and set up for dial up account only. I have since deleted all traces of the program (including checking the registry - no traces found)
I am still at a loss why my MTU shows 1440 however all the programs I am using says my default is set to 1500. Is there anything that will stop the MTU from going to 1500 (e.g maybe the modem or my NIC card etc..). Please let me know what you think as I am at a total loss.

mccoffee

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2003, 05:48:24 pm »
I have a feeling this might work
try this   goto my computer control panel network   poperties    remove tcpip  everything in that connection reboot  even the nic    then install  http://dslnuts.com/pppoe.shtml make
a new conection with nic istalled tcpip  and client for ms networks  
It should remove anything that involes  the mtu in regstry and start new  

Then try the tweaks    If you are using earthlinkdsl  u are one ppoe    

Try the rasppoe  as  dannjr   stated above  

Offline abarlow17

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2003, 06:40:46 pm »
I am still confused im afraid but I appreciate you sticking with me here. My DSL is purchased through Sprint (A local phone company) and provides Earthlink as standard. Is this still a PPoe connection?. I have just remembered I did have to sign up a new account. I do not get prompted when I go online for a user name and password hence the confusion as to whether I do have a PPoe connection or not. Sorry to sound so dumb but I hope you can understand me. Just let me know if I am on PPoe then I will download the patches etc..

mccoffee

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2003, 06:44:37 pm »
call them and ask   the telco companies always pull that for ex ameritech sbc owns ameritech yahoo is the software  just call and ask sprint   now i'm lost

Offline mnosteele

• Dr Tweak
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Dr Tweak
    • www.drtweak.com
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2003, 06:50:48 pm »
abarlow17 you are on a PPPoE connection and your MTU should be 1480, so try the following fix:

1) Download this file http://www.carricksolutions.com/XP_MTU.reg
2) Right click the file and choose "Merge"
3) Click "Yes"
4) Go to "Start" -> Click on "Run" -> Type in "Regedt32.exe" -> Click "OK"
5) Go to this Reg Key "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NdisWan\ Parameters\Protocols\0]"
6) Double click on "Protocol MTU"
7) Click on "Decimal" -> Enter your desired value (I.E.: Anything less then 1480.)  Use 1480
8) Click "OK"
9) Done!

Once you do that please post another TCP/IP Analyzer Test.

:) ;)
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2, WD Raptor 150GB, 8GB Crucial RAM, Win 7 Ultimate