Author Topic: Computer Troubles-WEIRD  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Robertkk

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
Computer Troubles-WEIRD
« on: February 22, 2003, 01:08:20 pm »
  Hey guys, I was told by a friend of mine that you all might be able to help me out on my quite bizarre computer problem.  

The thing is, whenever I play a game that takes up full-screen (tested with Dark Age of Camelot online, Warcraft 3-single player and online, and Age of Empires-single player), the game runs completely smoothly without any lag whatsoever, then after several minutes it freezes up for about 10 seconds, during which I can't do anything.

This just started happening around christmas time, and before I have never ever experienced anything of the like (had comp for 1 year before that)
I am running a Compaq Presario5000
 512 megs of RAM
 40 gig harddrive

I freed up 20 gigs of space when I tried to fix the problem, because I was at <1gig space and nothing happened.

If any of you guys can suggest what to do or anything I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline Buggyman

• Certifiable NoOb
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Buggy!
Re:Computer Troubles-WEIRD
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 01:41:49 pm »
Hi Robertkk... Welcom to the DslNuts Forum!  ;D
Have you checked for spywares? Because they can hog up quite a bit of your memory.
Also are you sure you haven't got a worm virus? because they work in the background without your knowlege and can use alot of memory sending out self made e-mails.
Maybe the other guys may have some other suggestions.. But that's my thinking.
PS.. Do you have Cablenut on your pc?

Thanks
Buggy  ;D

Offline Robertkk

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 01:54:14 pm »
 hi,

Yes I have checked for spywares and the free virus scanner I downloaded said no viruses showed up.  I installed cablenut but the problem happens even when Im not doing anything internet related like playing single player games.

Offline Buggyman

• Certifiable NoOb
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Buggy!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 02:00:55 pm »
Well you may have a bug in your system like My Wife Puter has. And to date I haven't found the cause of it.
Something else to think about is to check your cpu fan and see if its losing out and causing the Processor to over heat.
I'm limited as to what to advise myself. But mnosteele and Dannjr can problally offer some better suggestions.
Dannjr usally posts after midnight when he gets a chance. mnosteele is in and out during the day.So keep checking back and see if the other guys offer some Ideals.
Thanks
Buggy ;D

mccoffee

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 02:13:21 pm »
http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/tracert.asp take this test u should only see green maybe a yellow or two if any other color shows up or alot of yellow   let me know also http://www.dslnuts.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=744  read this  thank u

Offline Robertkk

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 02:40:03 pm »
 I got all green.

k I have roadrunner, dont know advertised speeds
I get 190k max download
run win2k

This is more of a computer-type question than a connection question.

Offline chpalmer

• "Loose Screw"
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 02:53:34 pm »
Sounds familiar except mine wont start moving again.
Does your screen seem to be caught mid refresh?