Author Topic: Computer Troubles-WEIRD  (Read 4800 times)

Offline chpalmer

• "Loose Screw"
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
Re:Computer Troubles-WEIRD
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2003, 10:03:49 pm »
Id love to hear the results of your new video card. I wouldnt suggest changing it only if you or I just thought it would fix it, but if you were going to anyway. :)
I may borrow one and try it myself here shortly. I have lots of isa cards but no pci or agp laying around.

just for info or comparison, Im running an ASUS A7V-E
AMD  with 256 and a NVIDIA B-16 AGP card. When mine crashes, the mouse does not move and CTRL ALT DELETE will not work.  Ive tried the fresh install also and upgraded all the drivers. Case is clean and breaths well!

mccoffee

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2003, 10:22:13 pm »
Did you try updated vid card drivers      also it could be just some bios error but hey I could be wrong too it sounds like you were having troublen with the card  so u are on the right track www.pricewatch.com if you live in the usa  it's a chep place to get parts  8)

Offline Robertkk

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2003, 06:26:45 am »
  Im running a 1.5 gigahertz p4 with an nvidia (coincidence?) vanta-16 mbs.
   When mine freezes up, I can still move the mouse, only the entire program is frozen.

Offline mnosteele

• Dr Tweak
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Dr Tweak
    • www.drtweak.com
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2003, 12:43:34 pm »
Robertkk do you have all the latest Windows updates? What version of NVidia drivers are you using? Have you overclocked your card or your pc? What apps are running in the background when the lockups happen, please list all the apps i.e. brand of firewall, AV app etc. Did you install 2K or did the pc come with it? Is all the propietary crap from Compaq on your pc? Let's start with those questions and go from there.

:) ;) ;D
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2, WD Raptor 150GB, 8GB Crucial RAM, Win 7 Ultimate

Offline Robertkk

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2003, 12:52:40 pm »

Robertkk do you have all the latest Windows updates?

Yes.
What version of NVidia drivers are you using?

I Don't know heh, what's the NVidia page to go to so I can update all my drivers?
Have you overclocked your card or your pc?

I dont beleive so, but how can I be sure?
What apps are running in the background when the lockups happen, please list all the apps i.e. brand of firewall, AV app etc.

I often run AIM in the background, but it always happens to me, no matter what I do.  I even alt-ctrl-deleted all of the progs that start up when my comp does and to no avail.
Did you install 2K or did the pc come with it?

It came with it
Is all the propietary crap from Compaq on your pc?

Yep.  I still have 10+ gigs of free HD space so I dont delete it.

thanks for trying to help me everyone =)

Offline mnosteele

• Dr Tweak
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Dr Tweak
    • www.drtweak.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2003, 12:59:39 pm »
OK for starters let's update your drivers, i would suggest using the 42.68 version. Once you install those try the games, there are also some very good tweaking apps for your card. Are you not running a firewall or AV app?

:) ;D
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2, WD Raptor 150GB, 8GB Crucial RAM, Win 7 Ultimate

Offline chpalmer

• "Loose Screw"
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2003, 01:04:01 pm »
Thats the one Im running  NVIDIA vanta 3d force B-16...
Wonder if theres an issue there??  I am running the latest drivers nvidia.com Mines a Jaton card if that helps.
I wonder if yours is also?