Author Topic: AOL and the Cablenut Program  (Read 16120 times)

Offline jjk454ss

• A New Nut
  • I'm not a llama!
Re:AOL and the Cablenut Program
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 07:18:18 pm »
My zip is 49423.  I have looked into cable, what I found are two providers in my area.  The first one, Comcast, when I talk to them they tell me to try Charter.  And Charter, the second one, they tell me to try Comcast.  That left me thinking that I must not be able to get cable.  I would like to find out how close cable does come to my house, and which provider it actually is, but the cable company themselves haven't benn much help.

Another thing I have been wondering about is a technician came out when I ordered DSL, he said I am just barely over the distance for DSL, but the noise level in the lines tested fine, so they probably would try it.  But I just got a letter saying I was too far from the CO.  Would another company possibly try DSL or is the distance thing set in stone.

Any ideas on finding a faster provider, dialup, cable, dsl, anything but satellite(too much $), would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 07:34:53 pm by jjk454ss »

mccoffee

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 07:36:03 pm »
i'm starting to see your frustation i went to another site to search for isp's  and could find squat.  According to comcast's webiste   they have interent in your area

Offline jjk454ss

• A New Nut
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 07:52:29 pm »
They have service in my ZIP, but I not at my address, and I can't seem to get the info out of them to see how close they do come.  It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to find out.  If I can't get high speed, how can I tell was Dialup ISP's would be the best for me?  Basically the fastest, just try them?

mccoffee

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 09:24:37 pm »
you could try netzero high speed or juneo it's not as bloated as aolhell  plus it does have the  software accelerator it's a tough call.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 10:40:04 pm »
UUnet direct dialup accounts are still the rock solid fast connections

from the link above
56k Monthly
 Month by Month
 Free
 $16.99

56k One Year
 One Year
 Free
 $13.99

56k Two years
 Two Years
 Free
 $12.99

One thing that most dont get is you still get allot of your web pages updated in your machine by aol instaed of getting a updated page in allot of cases.
What you think is fast with aol is mostley cache.

Comcast in your area keep beating tham up over it and ask a few of your neighbors to help.. If they get enough calls they will update you
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline jjk454ss

• A New Nut
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 09:21:18 am »
Thanks, I will look into UUnet.

I will also take your suggestion and keep pressing the Cable company, and havethe neighbors do the same.

Thanks

Offline jjk454ss

• A New Nut
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 12:06:33 pm »
Thanks for the help.  I signed up with Triton.net this morning.  They are a more local company, about 30 minutes away, so I thought I would give them a try.  I also signed up with vroomspeed.com for there accelerator.  Like I said, I just did this a couple hours ago, but so far I am happy.  I will start studying up on this site, and see what tweaks I can do, and if it stays good like this.  I will attempt to get all the AOL stuff off my computer and stick with Triton.  Thanks