Author Topic: SBC/YaHoo/COVAD upgrades/downgrades  (Read 1196 times)

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
SBC/YaHoo/COVAD upgrades/downgrades
« on: August 28, 2003, 01:26:31 pm »
Per SBC "Covad below"
AS seen @ DSLR by Ken

Speed Packages will be changing!
MESSAGE FROM SBC/ASI

SBC Advanced Solutions, Inc. (SBC ASI) announces that it will be enhancing and consolidating its DSL Transport products to maximize upstream bandwidth and to simplify the DSL Transport speed-tiers. Effective October 25, 2003, for new connect orders, SBC ASI’s DSL Transport products will be enhanced and consolidated as follows:

192 - 384Kbps X 128 - 256Kbps
192 - 1536Kbps X 128 - 256Kbps
384 – 1536Kbps X 128 - 256Kbps
768 – 1536Kbps X 256 - 384Kbps
384 - 416Kbps X 384 – 416Kbps
1536 – 4000Kbps X 384 - 416Kbps
4000 - 6000Kbps X 384 - 608Kbps

Migration of Existing Circuits
Existing DSL circuits provisioned via Central Office (CO) DSLAM will be migrated to the enhanced/consolidated products. Migration plans for circuits provisioned via a Remote Terminal (RT) will be determined at a later date. Migrations will be done in bulk; SBC ASI will not accept requests to migrate specific end-users prior to the completion of the bulk migrations. SBC ASI does not anticipate any end user downtime associated with these migrations.

SBC ASI plans to begin migrating the existing circuits to the enhanced speed profiles beginning on or before October 25, 2003. The number of circuits in this set of migrations is very large, and SBC ASI expects to complete these migrations by the end of 2Q-04. SBC ASI will communicate further details regarding the product and profile migrations as additional information becomes available.

What does this announcement mean for me as a customer?

SBC/ASI will be changing the speed profiles that are installed on the DSLAMs and RTs that provide DSL service to it's customers. The biggest change will be that the upload side of the DSL profiles will now be rate-adaptive versus a fixed speed. This will allow the upload side to achieve higher sync speeds, based on line conditions.

When will this change take place?

Tentative ETA for the change will be for the end of September, however not all customers will see the change once it occurs due to the volume of customers needing to be moved to the new profiles.

Do I need to call in to have my profile changed?

No, since this is being done network wide to all customers, there is no need for any customer action to make the change.

Will this affect my contract?

No, Your contract is not affected, nor does it reset or change in any way.

Will I need any new special equipment or a new modem?

No, your present equipment will work fine and there will be no need for any special procedures to achieve the new speeds.

Will I have to pay a new rate for the new speed?

No, there will no changes to the rates you are currently paying for the duration of your current contract.

If you have any questions, please keep them IN THIS THREAD as new threads will be subject to being locked and questions being re-directed to this thread!!

Thanks!

Ken
-------------------------------------
Signs that SBC is starting to realize the customer comes first. NOW if enough people call SBC @ this number 1-877-SBC-DSL-5 (1-877-722-3755)
and requst NO more Spyware on there web site and to give the option to recieve POP email in text format maybe there system would give a touch more bandwidth.
I block all spyware so I dont even see the pictures on there site except where its a graphic thats not part of there spyware tools. That means half there pages come up blank except for text. AND I have pictures enabled in my browser...  
NOTE as for Yahoo online Email watch for new tools that will be implimented in the next few weeks to give more filter control over email. AS per a conversation I had with TECH support today..

Thanks SBC

COVAD see my handy hints on that at the bottom.

"Dear Valued Covad Customer:
If you currently use an email address ending in @covad.net, please disregard this message. If you currently use an email address that is provided by your employer or is hosted by a 3rd-party provider other than Covad, please read the following notification:

In an effort to alleviate SPAM abuse to our email servers, we will require, as of October 7 that users authenticate with a valid Covad.net email address (e.g. joespencer@covad.net) and password before sending email.

Updating your authentication settings in your email program is simple. Click here to view step-by-step instructions on how to make this change. You will be instructed to enter a Covad.net email address and password. Remember that you automatically created a Covad.net email address when you ordered your Broadband service. This email address is your SMART username + @covad.net (e.g. johndoe@covad.net) and password. If you can’t remember your SMART username and password, please contact Covad customer support at 1-888-642-6823.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you. Covad is taking a proactive step to help protect all of our customers’ ability to send email. We will send you a final reminder on September 30, one week before the change goes into effect.

As always, the Covad customer support team is available 24X7 at 1-888-64-COVAD (1-888-642-6823) to assist you should you have any problems in making this change.

Thank you,

The Covad Team
©2003 Covad Communications Company. All rights reserved."  

Better be looking for a new provider this is there feable excuse to lower bandwidth issuse's on there network. Iv already shown in older info how they moved some of there customers over to a proxy cause they cant afford IP address's that included Earthlink customers.
NOW because of the bandwidth issuses that the recent worms on the web used now they hope to reduce there problems by limiting spam. HEY if the spammer wants to get you they will AND whois to say that they wont end up blocking legit emails as well when they not only impliment smtp but limit POP..

Im SOOOO happy I dropped my Covad/Mindspring/Earlick DSL and have two real companies like SBC and Cyberonic. <--- use companies that at least have some control...
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

mccoffee

Re:SBC/YaHoo/COVAD upgrades/downgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 03:21:49 pm »
the web used now they hope to reduce there problems by limiting spam. HEY if the spammer wants to get you they will AND whois to say that they wont end up blocking legit emails as well when they not only impliment smtp but limit POP..
They already block cablenut and sg replies thanks sbc.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 03:36:10 pm »
the web used now they hope to reduce there problems by limiting spam. HEY if the spammer wants to get you they will AND whois to say that they wont end up blocking legit emails as well when they not only impliment smtp but limit POP..
They already block cablenut and sg replies thanks sbc.

From what I was told SBC is fixing that POP problem by giving the user more control the way they had been doing it was nuts...
AS for Covads Idea on how to run the Internet cant wait till SBC takes them over. Afterall it was in part that Ameritech bailed out covad in there first bankruptcy
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

mccoffee

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 03:44:51 pm »
Dannjr  yeah yeold  from  sg said that they don't do filtering i'm like bs  I get no new replies either forum.