Author Topic: 10/100 ethernet cards vs. intergrated  (Read 1030 times)

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Re:10/100 ethernet cards vs. intergrated
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 11:32:57 pm »
thanks
I guess either a card or onboard would be ok for a new computer, maybe the difference is not that noticeable?

I'm kind of new to all of this and now you guys have gotten me more confused LOL
To me On board is still a little warm to run under CPU cycles. this is why I still prefure the PCI card.
NOT to meantion the recent complaints on overclock sites about all the build on stuff the MB makers are putting on.
Me loves $7 to $9 realtech cards or 3com or Dlink and I think a Dlink as of late may even be faster in the long run over 3com.
If your board came reltech on it your probably ok and why not blow it up before you buy a new card  ;D
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Micro

• Moderator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 05:53:26 am »
To me On board is still a little warm to run under CPU cycles. this is why I still prefure the PCI card.

Clarify?
The same chip is used "on-board" or on a separate card in 90% of the MBs, cpu cycle usage is the same  ???
It's not like they're software modems or anything  :(

NOT to mention the recent complaints on overclock sites about all the build on stuff the MB makers are putting on.

They'd complain if you hung 'em with a new rope.
'Course then again they have NO idea what stability is or actually doing anything other than useless benchmarking is.
Crap, I have dual PPro machines that encode video faster than many of them boys, cause mine don't fail to complete 3 times out of 5 or introduce artifacts half way through.
Mhz numbers mean nothing, if that's ALL they are.  ::)

Every chip has it's mhz limit and it doesn't matter whether it's integrated onboard on the PCI bus or added into the PCI bus as a card, the limit is the same.
This shows up ALL the time on MBs that can't totally separate their PCI timing from their FSB timing, and with OCer's that don't have enough sense to see it.
And yet they blame the makers of RAID chips for data errors when they run 30% or more over their rated speed.  ::)

Me loves $7 to $9 realtech cards or 3com or Dlink and I think a Dlink as of late may even be faster in the long run over 3com.
If your board came reltech on it your probably ok and why not blow it up before you buy a new card  ;D

Agree on the D-Link, but 3com's overpriced for what you actually get, although the options ARE nice.

Here's where we go for good deals with no limits on quantity (does require multiple orders though) on top of the line NICs, IMO.

http://inteleval.ententeweb.com/store.asp
Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2003, 09:02:13 pm »

Clarify?
The same chip is used "on-board" or on a separate card in 90% of the MBs, cpu cycle usage is the same  ???
It's not like they're software modems or anything  :(

NOT to mention the recent complaints on overclock sites about all the build on stuff the MB makers are putting on.

They'd complain if you hung 'em with a new rope.
'Course then again they have NO idea what stability is or actually doing anything other than useless benchmarking is.
Crap, I have dual PPro machines that encode video faster than many of them boys, cause mine don't fail to complete 3 times out of 5 or introduce artifacts half way through.
Mhz numbers mean nothing, if that's ALL they are.  ::)

Every chip has it's mhz limit and it doesn't matter whether it's integrated onboard on the PCI bus or added into the PCI bus as a card, the limit is the same.
This shows up ALL the time on MBs that can't totally separate their PCI timing from their FSB timing, and with OCer's that don't have enough sense to see it.
And yet they blame the makers of RAID chips for data errors when they run 30% or more over their rated speed.  ::)

Agree on the D-Link, but 3com's overpriced for what you actually get, although the options ARE nice.

Here's where we go for good deals with no limits on quantity (does require multiple orders though) on top of the line NICs, IMO.

http://inteleval.ententeweb.com/store.asp

Boy O Boy O Boy  ;D Got some rope there  ;D

Asus and Abit run about 5 to 10 Deg F warmer from what Ive seen with the built on NIC in use. (Just my opinion) No there not like a WinModem or Software Modem where they depend on software cycles from off of Windows. But I see them all everyday. Now maybe the JUNK I get tends to run a touch slower. VIA on board NICs just S u c k the realtek onboard seem to work best without the heat problem.
AND I SHOULD stress this I found that Onboard NICs are much better than NetGear NICs esp. this past year.

Your Absolutley right on 3Com I think its time 3com get there heads out of there  A S S's and look at what there doing adain. Sems like there not listening again to the buyers.
Intel I wont touch that. I know they make some decent stuff and that link makes it affordable. But in my "market' as of right now I dont need $30 NIC's I can get away with a $7 realtek card.

I am usually happy when I can drop a machine in a home or office that has everything built on as long as it has the option to disable it. in case I have t fix it right away with a addon card  ;D10 20 or $30 Dollar card beats the heck out of replacing a whole MB at $100 more or less.

Bottom line shop smart. when you do it esp if your gonna build for yourself.

Oerclocking hasnt been needed for awhile but they still do it. I love seeing how people love to melt holes in there boards..
I over clocked my old machine yesterday.
I went out got a 450Watt power supply. Dropped that in the Case.
Took out the 2.0 celeron and P4 board and replaced the board and CPU with a ASuS P4 800Mhz board with 2.4b pentium Dropped on a Gig of DDR 2100 that I had laying around dropped in a NEW Maxtor 7200 w/8meg cache and FIRED it up. Man that old looking machine can fly now. I would have done that to my AMD but the room the P4 sits in gets to 86Deg F sometimes and I wanted to help keep the heat down a touch in that room.
More on My AMD later on  ;D AND Fiber channel to a office that dont really need it.
One Day I to, will have a Gigabyte network to blow up. Micro gets to play with his. (Yes I'm Jelious)

Maybe on day we can test Firewire drives in the PC against Gigabyte networking.

Are we having fun yet  ;D I left some rope out there  8)  
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Micro

• Moderator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2003, 08:54:34 am »

Asus and Abit run about 5 to 10 Deg F warmer

Don't doubt it, but these days if it doesn't say Supermicro or Soyo on it, I won't run it.
I need boards that I know are stable.  ;)

Intel I wont touch that. I know they make some decent stuff and that link makes it affordable. But in my "market' as of right now I dont need $30 NIC's I can get away with a $7 realtek card.

Yea, but I was pointing to the gigabit cards.
Still thinkin' slow, huh.  ;D

One Day I to, will have a Gigabyte network to blow up. Micro gets to play with his. (Yes I'm Jelious)

Maybe on day we can test Firewire drives in the PC against Gigabyte networking.

Are we having fun yet  ;D I left some rope out there  8)  

8-port gigabit Switches can be had for as little as $140 now.

Jealous, huh  ;D ;)

Then you'll love to know that the 2 video servers I have here are running 1.5 terabytes each (3 total) for video archive and the audio archive server has 1.2 terabyte storage on it. And all are in removable HD trays.
Encoding video and audio for DVD storage 24/7 on 2 other machines now.

And have real work to do too. ;D >:(

New rope, please.
Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money