Author Topic: Error 720 (XP PPPoE)  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
Re:Error 720 (XP PPPoE)
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 02:39:06 pm »
Basically, I just re-installed Windows (new hard drive) and I still am getting the Error 720 message. I installed RASPPPoE but then I got Error 720 again. Should I try the Advanced Networking Pack from Windows Update? I still can't figure out what Microsoft Service is conflicting ect.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 12:40:38 am »
Well... First off you should always make sure All Windows Criticle updates are done.
As for the error You should have SBC disk. DO-Not let it all install
But because this is XP home, I would maybe try taking off the RASPPPoE and put the Enternet 300 on.
The reason is that Enternet uses there own drivers that came from VPN. Plus you can have more control over it. RASPPPoE already uses the same file types as Microsofts.
I wish I new you were reloading  :-\

The only other suggestion would be, rather than spending your effort on getting Lame connection software going. See what you can do to get a router.
The router will give you all the controls over the connection and you wont need to worry about that startup error.

My only other suggestion would be to drop XP home for XP pro. Only because XP home has a history of network issuse's. That your already having.  
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 11:11:37 pm »
Second XP Home install now. All Windows Updates included. This time I have NOT installed the latest driver from 3Com. No Error 720 YET. I will not install CableNut or anything else for a while now. Thanks for your last reply dannjr!! I do have the SBC disc but am not sure what you mean by "DO-Not let it all install." Windows boots up fine now since I set the IP, Subnet and Gateway (Interface Auto to Interface Metric) but NOT the DNS. Next step--> install a router...

:P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 11:17:22 pm by Curt »

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 12:10:15 am »
When you put in the SBC disk it likes to start the install

Have "My Computer" open and when you put in the CD right click on the CD drive and click on explore
Look for Enternet 300 or just enternet
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2004, 11:21:44 am »
I have not gotten Error 720 yet. Basically, I have XP Home, SBC DSL w/ a SpeedStream modem, a manual PPPoE conection, a 3Com 3C905C-TX (I entered the IP into the LAN properties) and have NOT updated the driver. So I guess updating the driver caused all this!! (I got the updated driver(s) from 3Com for 3C905C-TX- I tried both.)

I was just looking at my SBC DSL Installation Guide for XP and it says NOT to use the CD to install. I also liked how RASPPPoE used the LAN connection instead of adding PPPoE to the LAN connection in the Network Connections folder. Plus, I can always go back to PPPoE. Any comments? (Like why use the SBC DSL install CD if they say, "No?")
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:23:38 am by Curt »

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 07:55:37 pm »
Good news-> RASPPPoE is installed and working on my PC without Error 720!! I unchecked all the protocols on my Local Area Connection (LAN) but "PPP over Ethernet Protocol" and on the new RASPPPoE Dial-up connnection I enabled the built-in XP firewall. There is no need to put the IP in my LAN properties so far. (RASPPPoE creates a Dial-up connection for your NIC's LAN connection for your DSL/Cable modem.)

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 07:59:18 pm »
Just an update here. I installed the software update for this NIC card. It's windiags.exe. It also updates the driver. The funny thing is this-> it's for Windows 2000 and is an unsigned driver. The other thing I noticed is my connection seems a bit more "snappy." I have not experienced Error 720 yet either. The two drivers from 3COM for my NIC card that caused Error 720 were for XP. Go figure...