Author Topic: Error 720 (XP PPPoE)  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
Re:Error 720 (XP PPPoE)
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2004, 05:13:51 pm »
I set the MTU of RASPPPoE to 1480. Before I did this RASPPPoE seemed to be hanging a bit on me. My only concern is wondering if leaving the XP PPPoE installed is good enough. It's too hard to switch back and forth to test RASPPPoE vs. Microsoft PPPoE.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2004, 05:44:45 pm »
I set the MTU of RASPPPoE to 1480. Before I did this RASPPPoE seemed to be hanging a bit on me. My only concern is wondering if leaving the XP PPPoE installed is good enough. It's too hard to switch back and forth to test RASPPPoE vs. Microsoft PPPoE.

I personally would have stuck with the MS RASPPPoE instead of going with the other. Your using the same drivers.

RASPPPoE was built using the RASPPPoE drivers from Microsoft originally

If you want more info on your connection then Enternet 300 would give you all the info and since you already figured out that it was a NIC problem you could probably try that again..

My Q&A to you ?  Why are you still using that version of XP ?   Win2k or XPpro are so much more stable and deal with networking much better.
Or Experment with Linux SuSe as a Dual boot. That can be fun...

I fiqured I give you something since your getting better at this tweak stuff.  
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 09:46:30 pm »
XP Home... I guess I use it 'cause it was cheaper. I have a copy of Linux and I have two hard drives. A lot of people have told me to try Linux. I get stuck sometimes using the same software. I do have to say that after testing RASPPPoE vs. XP PPPoE just now that as long as the MTU for RASPPPoE is 1480 and MSS is unchecked it is the winner. I loaded up my browser and RASPPPoE was faster loading up web pages. I'll have to try this with XP SP2.

Offline Curt

• Junior Nut
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2004, 05:12:32 pm »
Negative on setting the default gateway for my PPPoE connection. It is causing me problems now with the new Windows XP Service Pack 2, v.2120. I guess after reading what dannjr said to me first in this thread I don't see where he told me to set the default gateway anyway. As far as the DNS, Bob Carrick says no but I guess if my ISP does not change it will be all right if I set it.

I had the default gateway set all year now with no problems. Windows XP SP2 is configured a bit different I guess. I tried to go to Office XP Update and get Office XP Service Pack 3 and it took 45 minutes on my 1500/384 DSL line!! So I just did another ipconfig /all (since installing SP2, v.2120) and the default gateway for the NIC and PPPoE were different and I thought they were the same before. You know me, always messing with stuff... (Oh yeah, got the above posted tweaks going- rock 'n' roll.) Later Cablenuts!!

Curt Mueller
MSN MVP