Author Topic: PC F@@@ed  (Read 4159 times)

Offline BigAmp

• A code & Music &quotNut"
  • The crew
  • Certifiable Nut
  • I'm a llama! ..: !?! :.. SWEET!
PC F@@@ed
« on: March 13, 2004, 12:52:21 am »
Hey

just went to turn my PC on and found it to be NFG. the power comes on, motherboard lights, fans and the power/HD lights on the front are on but nothing else is working it just sits there. I can not even open a CD-ROM.

I gots no clue here?????

so a little help would be great!

mccoffee

Re:PC F@@@ed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 01:23:29 am »
Clear the cmos on the board  by using the jumper look in board manual and or webisite then reboot if it doesn't boot  start taking out the modem/network card  just have the vid card  in and that's it.  

If you have spare power supply  i would try that also  maybe replacing the cmos battery.  

Also are you getting any beep codes???      

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 01:48:25 am »
Clear the cmos on the board  by using the jumper look in board manual and or webisite then reboot if it doesn't boot  start taking out the modem/network card  just have the vid card  in and that's it.  

If you have spare power supply  i would try that also  maybe replacing the cmos battery.  

Also are you getting any beep codes???      
Ditto

Plus if the above dosnt work go a step farther..
If you dont have a power supply to try at the moment disconnect the power to the HD and CDrom.. Some New boards require at least a flop to boot..  
If your HD is disconnected a possible virus wont be able to re-write itself on boot to memory.. That will allow you to get to the bios to enable the virus protection or possible write protect..

Power supplys are built like as toss aways now
Thats why every machine I get has the power supply pulled and replaced with a dual fan 500 plus watt supply
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

mccoffee

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 03:11:29 am »
Thats why every machine I get has the power supply pulled and replaced with a dual fan 500 plus watt supply

Most psu or power supplys are made over seas  they are not regulated my an angetcy i can't spell it's late bare with me.   IF they were made here they would be regulated.  My point being is when you buy a dish warsher you have an ideal when it  would die b4 you buy it.  With computer  no such thing.

Dann I wouldn't mind your answer to this  I see alot of people spending upto 60-70 all the way to 100's for psw is the extra money worth the better brand for psus??    As i stated above they could go at any time so why waste the bucks imo.  Please share your views.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 05:44:52 am by mccoffee »

Offline Micro

• Moderator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 09:19:32 am »

Most psu or power supplys are made over seas  they are not regulated my an angetcy i can't spell it's late bare with me.   IF they were made here they would be regulated.  My point being is when you buy a dish warsher you have an ideal when it  would die b4 you buy it.  With computer  no such thing.

I would pretty much disagree with all of that.  ;D

Where it's made has little, if anything, to do with it, as they all must pass the same LOW specs to carry the FCC interference label, whether they are import or domestic, as well as the flammability ratings. Those are all that are required.

You get what you pay for, period.
Caveat Emptor

A $9.95 power supply (that comes with a $14.95 case) is worth exactly that and no more.
Anyone SHOULD know that it is of low quality and limited life without having to be told.   :slap:
The same size PS costing $49.95 will have heavier duty components and much longer life.

Advertised wattage size in a PS has about as much relevance as it does in an audio amp - virtually nil.    >:(
The specs are what you need to look at, period.
300 watts is more than adequate for almost any dual P3 syatem with 4 drives, IF it is in the right places across the correct rails.
You need to KNOW what your system needs, not guess.
All the info is available for the asking (or in most cases, looking, as specs for everything are posted on the net)

Bigger ain't always better.

BTW - Power supplies do not have more than very basic surge suppression at best.
Incoming AC power irregularities are what kills 95% of all PSs, not component failure on it's own.
The other 5% is from PS rails being overloaded becuase of the PS not being matched to the demand.
Power supplies (and their components) all die a slow death without some sort of line conditioning.
We have yet to have a PS failure here in over 19 years at this location, which we attribute to quality line conditioners and quality UPSs.
(And if you think that is not unusual, you've obiously never looked at your local power grid with a less than highly damped meter.
If you want nightmares, reduce the damping rate on your meter and monitor an AC wall oulet.
But don't say I didn't warn you.  :prayer:  )

Everything here is dual processor with multiple drives (up to 6 normally, but it varies as ALL drives are in swappable cases) and usually burners, and yes, the largest PS we use currently is a 375w unit.

(We do not have any P4 based units at this time though, and do expect to have to step up wattage to 425-450 to accomadate the dual Xeons and Sata Raid5 w/burners on the rigs due to be built next month)

As mccoffee would say -  Please share your views.
Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money

mccoffee

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 10:42:54 am »
I will say this  you want psu  that is certified with the make of cpu  like it's intel certified or amd certified if not it might throw off on cpu warranty issues.    

I forgot about fcc  i wish  i could call my old teacher who  was talking abou the regualtions grant maybe my memory got fed up  i forgot the whole story.   I'm going to take a crack at anyway   the oversea's governement  don't   have  as many  regulations on builiding the parts  where in the usa  we have more rules to follow  when manufacturing  those parts that fcc maybe that's all that matters.  Like i said i wish had that guy's email.  

As for the cheap power supplies i usually get the 20 buck ones grant i'm not running anything high  end at the house they last about 5-7years  that's my whole point, Micro if you have  a guide/article or any knowledge of  parts  life expectancy i would love to read it or hear it over.    
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 10:54:46 am by mccoffee »

mccoffee

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 11:09:49 am »
Sorry to double but  micro thanks for the info  i'm still a newb  ;D