Author Topic: PC F@@@ed  (Read 3677 times)

Offline BigAmp

• A code & Music &quotNut"
  • The crew
  • Certifiable Nut
  • I'm a llama! ..: !?! :.. SWEET!
    • The Design Portfolio of Rob Little
Re:PC F@@@ed
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 11:41:10 am »
going back a ways, I well give a little more info here.

when I start of the computer, the power and HD light both light up. but nothing at all is going on with the HD. I do not get any beep code... I don't have it. I have an LED hex code on my mother board. it would just say 00 and there was nothing in my manual about that. not that I have left it off over night, it started some of the booting. the HD light turned off and can open CD-ROMs but I still did not hear my HD work. the mother board now is staying at 52. manual says "Test all Memory (clear all extended Memory to 0)" the fans and lights have been working the whole time. and nothing comes across the screen, but there is some signal I don't get the check connection warning.

this first started when I came back to my PC yester day afternoon, it had crached I guess it was black screen and the lights / fans where all still running, the power and HD lights were on. but nothing would happen. I had to flip the power at the back the reset and holding power button for 7 sec. was not working. when I restarted it nothing, had the fans and lights running the power light/HD on both the case and my motherbaord came on but no HD sound, I could not even open the CD-ROMS. THen I messege this to you all.

sort of listing off listing off the parts of my computer I am just looking for some places to start and to find out what my manual was talking about.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 11:56:35 am »
OK view point kwel..
This isnt to say My view is perfect
BUT I can get PSs around $30 for a 520watt PS with dual fan..Pop that into a $14 case.

The components run hotter now, so having the secondary fan helps keep the case kwel

The recent New systems with PSs that Iv been seeing as of late, have been heating up even with a line conditioner and UPS on the line..
I had 300watt PS in the past year with a little over 30 machines running.. Iv had 4 smoke. Not just go out but smoke..

The fact that they smoked wasnt due to them nessassarly being bad.
For instance, AMDs spec per system is about 300 to 350watt supply.

Now you deliver that machine and over the next few months the user decides he/she wants a added HD next they want a added DVD CD burner along with the burner they have.
They bump the memory to a gig. They hang an external USB HD on. Then a card reader. Next thing you know with all the added stuff, oh and camera´s and the added programs they eat up the voltage..
Then to add to all of that they run there systems 24/7..
So now you have the added human factor. AND now you walk in and you put your hand over the back of the system and all you feel is heat.. Heat factors in, with all of it.

So now we come full circle. I run out Grab one of them $29 PSs $50 Retail  pop it in and the PS runs cool and the system runs cooler
Im not gonna pop in a Added slot or case fan when that justs adds to eating up the PS. esp. if I can get the same job done from the dual fan supply..

Now we add the other human factor Comm Eddy(The Power company)..
In the past 7 years in chicago I could drop a line conditioner on everything with UPS and durring the summer have brown outs with a spike equil to lightening.. Everyone is using so much more power now in there homes and business its almost funny  ;D Cause its added to the home income ;D

But then I look at my usage.
I have a 54 inch Samsung DLP HDTV that runs almost 24-7 with surround sound. 10 computers running 24/7, a giant Laser4 two other printers and document scanner, airconditioning, 2 furnaces 7 other TVs
8 UPSs a panel spike protector from newtone and a line conditioner.
Not to mention some of my other electrical toys, or my wifes 10billion watt blow dryer.. Sauna/whirpool..
Like call the power police..
Anyone want to trade home power bills  ;D   AND I didnt even mention all the networking stuff or DSL connctions...

My wife actually asked me why I had to move my Athlon to the Dungeon She liked the suplimental heat..
As for older machines I have a couple of P2s with original PSs
Heck I got a 8086 with all original equiptment. More Gold than copper  ;)
I also have to be additional honest 70% of the equiptment running is Athlon even in the offices now..

Your turns  8) I want more......
Im adding windmills next
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 12:16:43 pm »
Bigamp Unplug the HD if it fires up you have a HD problem.
No beep tone is usually memory. Or bios just messed.
The info you have is right..

This is not nessassarly a fix I suggest but have done it several times. AND not nessassarrlllly the first thing to do. This will be out of desperation..

Now this aint for the weak hearted.
If the bearings froze up in the Drive and you need the Data off that drive. Plug that drive into a system thats working. prefurably an older system.
As the system starts up hit the side of the drive with a small hammer.If the drive fires up you need to get into bios and set the drive static. That means you only have a few seconds..
Reboot and listen for the drive. If you need to pop it again and you might just do it.
That should give you 15 to 30 minutes to get the data off onto the other drive.
For them of you rolling on the floor
Look into the eyes of a customer with a Novell server running scud drives thats doing exactly what Bigamps is now
and become God in there eyes when they see you hit the drive with a stapler I think it was Arrow and the system fired up and ran for almost a month logger while everything was being transfered out. Dont even ask why a month.. Twas a money issue and OS issue... There was backups.. Besides the load on the novell wasnt that high.  
You could just add a drive to the broke system as well just make sure its formated
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 12:19:42 pm by dannjr »
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

mccoffee

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 12:41:57 pm »
If you cleard the cmos   jumper  also what dann said  i would also unplug power to cdrom drives as well just to narrow it down, and still no dice it's probably ram  grant i haven't ran into what dann is talking about just yet with the hammer but i got to keep in that mind.

Another crazy ideal if all this doesn't work is unmount board  make sure there isn't any lose screws or anything like that in the case and mount it back it in i might be wrong it could also be  short.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 12:43:16 pm by mccoffee »

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 12:47:33 pm »
If you cleard the cmos   jumper  also what dann said  i would also unplug power to cdrom drives as well just to narrow it down, and still no dice it's probably ram  grant i haven't ran into what dann is talking about just yet with the hammer but i got to keep in that mind.

Another crazy ideal if all this doesn't work is unmount board  make sure there isn't any lose screws or anything like that in the case and mount it back it in i might be wrong it could also be  short.  

Ya know This could be part of it at least its been in the past but a loose chip or capacitor on board.. If it was the old CPU like a old Athlon or P2 Ide say chk to make sure mounted ok..
Keep in mind a stapler works too when a hammer aint available ;D

Offline Micro

• Moderator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 01:51:04 pm »
BigAmp - You may want to reseat all the memory and/pull all but one known good stick.
Memory comes before Drives in most bios check routines.
(Memory bad = no attempt at HD detection or boot
Memory with errors = HD detection, but no boot)

And your MB codes seem to point that way also.

dannjr - except for you buy by price (??)and I buy by spec, I think you said we agree ??

Anywho - tell me more about the DLP set, I'm in the market .
How's the sharpness and viewing angle compared to plasma. lcd, or crt or lcd projection.
How's it's progressive display compared to it's interlaced display?
Would a wife notice the difference or is it not that bad?
Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money

mccoffee

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 02:55:53 pm »
i got  dual fan 400 forgot the brand i was told the amd's  like  a higher wattage psu's