Author Topic: ANOTHER BAD VIRUS !!!, or hoax part 2  (Read 852 times)

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
ANOTHER BAD VIRUS !!!, or hoax part 2
« on: April 15, 2002, 02:11:05 pm »
Due to the overwhelming response

You may have read the article below about this Real bad Virus, some of you may have gone to the link, some of you just took my word for it.. Being that its still April with a certain day devoted to Fools.. I figured it was a good time to Devote a little of my time to this subject.(virus's, Worms, Hoax, and Spam)
The below Virus warning is what is commonly known as a “Hoax” ..
A Hoax can be started as a Rumor or can be an actual program that can cause some systematic problems as a small program. They normally don’t cause damage.
Ok that said over the next week or so with some input from you as the user of this site maybe we can find out together just what a Hoax can mean to you. As a industry problem I know that they have cost’s involved just in the time lost in researching them out.
A Hoax can also take time from you when it decides to run right in the middle of your unsaved project.. Sometimes all on its own either as a Fractile or TSR Which are auto ran programs or as a cute little program, like one that comes to mind called “Click”. Which was an .exe program that would come up and make it look like it was deleting you whole Windows partition.
Below is an excerpt from Sophos on Hoax’s..
Why did I pick Sophos? Only because out of all the places like Symantic, McAfee, justy to name a couple. Sophos seems to have put the information together better than most. Simple reading for New users, and good info for the experienced user.
If you have info you would like to share on this please sign up on the Discussion forum and make yourself heard in the Networking and security forum. All input is welcome.

How do hoaxes cost money?
Although no official research has been done on the subject, it is estimated that hoaxes can cost you even more than a genuine virus incident. After all, no anti-virus will detect hoaxes because they aren't viruses. Some companies panic when they receive a hoax virus warning and assume the worst - making the situation much worse.

The amount of email that a typical hoax can generate is also a cost to organisations. Once a few people in your company have received a warning and mailed it to all their friends and colleagues, a mail overload can easily result.

How to prevent hoaxes from spreading in your company
Your company may like to consider circulating a policy on virus hoaxes to your staff, in an attempt to reduce the costs involved.

Here is an example policy you could use:

"You shall not forward any virus warnings of any kind to *anyone* other than . It doesn't matter if the virus warnings have come from an anti-virus vendor or been confirmed by any large computer company or your best friend. *All* virus warnings should be sent to , and alone. It is 's job to send round all virus warnings, and a virus warning which comes from any other source should be ignored."

Keep yourself informed
The best way to reduce the cost of virus hoaxes is to keep yourself informed by visiting the section of this site devoted to debunking virus hoaxes:

Sophos describes hoaxes and scares.
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/

I'm in know way saying that Sophos is the best at this info I do think its time people get better informed
your comments are welcome http://dslnuts.com/forums/ in the netorking and security formum Please keep email to a minimum as I get plenty of it and don't have allot of time to respond to all of it. The discussion forum is a good place to bring it all up as a place for all to learn

Thanks
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.