Author Topic: XP SP2 & CableNut - READ!!  (Read 19021 times)

Offline mnosteele

• Dr Tweak
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Dr Tweak
    • www.drtweak.com
XP SP2 & CableNut - READ!!
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:52:21 am »
Well itís official, CableNut is the ONLY internet connection tweaking application that will allow you to optimize your internet connection with Windows XP SP2. SP2 makes numerous changes to your registry one of them is your TCP and AFD values, the ones that control your internet bandwidth. CableNut is the ONLY application that allows you to optimize your AFD (Ancillary Function Device Ė it acts as an entry point for Winsock functions to get to TCPIP.sys).  For years the CableNut Team has been saying how important the AFD registry values are and how they help optimize your bandwidth but many others (DSLR cough, cough, wink, wink) have argued that they donít effect anything.

With the release of Windows XP SP2 the updated TCP/IP stack now redirects to your AFD values in the registry. Try a TCP/IP Analyzer test or DSLR Tweak Test and see, it will show your RWIN (DefaultReceiveWindow) as the value you have in CableNut under DefaultReceiveWindow which is an AFD parameter. This shows how important it is to use CableNut so you can fully optimize connections bandwidth.

We, the CableNut Team, are proud to be the first to publicly announce this. We are still looking into what exact changes are made to the TCP/IP stack.

;D 8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 10:53:21 am by mnosteele »
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2, WD Raptor 150GB, 8GB Crucial RAM, Win 7 Ultimate

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Re:XP SP2 & CableNut - READ!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 11:26:18 am »
Further comments here
http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php?op=articles;id=9
or from here http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php
We are looking for additional input about this If you comments related to the change Microsoft made or additional info please feel free to comment in here.
If you have tweaking that you need to do with your system please start a new thread in the Cablenut support forum or other related forums

Thanks
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Meehowski

• A New Nut
  • Contrarian
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 12:06:33 pm »
SP 2 is being installed on my PC at 18:00 hrs.

8) :o

Offline Meehowski

• A New Nut
  • Contrarian
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 12:34:39 pm »
SP 2 installed.........so far, so good.......

;D :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 12:35:10 pm by Meehowski »

Offline Justme

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 04:59:54 am »
That claim is nothing but pure BULL****!!  I am currently using XP SP2 on all 14 of my machines and have no problem whatsoever tweaking with DrTCP.  I have gone in and changed multiple settings with no problems just to test this claim and everything works fine!!  By the way, can you tell us when the last time was that CableNut was updated??  Based on my research it was sometime in 2001.

mccoffee

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 05:46:20 am »
That claim is nothing but pure BULL****!!  I am currently using XP SP2 on all 14 of my machines and have no problem whatsoever tweaking with DrTCP.  I have gone in and changed multiple settings with no problems just to test this claim and everything works fine!!  By the way, can you tell us when the last time was that CableNut was updated??  Based on my research it was sometime in 2001.

Dr.tcp doesn't  use the afd paramerters   the only values dr.tcp makes is the tcpip stack not the afd.   re read below  Dr.tcp only changes  the tcp window size which is a tcpip parameter not afd  The cablenut software doesn't need to be updated  cause it included the whole tcpip stack and also the afd parameters.    

With the release of Windows XP SP2 the updated TCP/IP stack now redirects to your AFD values in the registry. Try a TCP/IP Analyzer test or DSLR Tweak Test and see, it will show your RWIN (DefaultReceiveWindow) as the value you have in CableNut under DefaultReceiveWindow which is an AFD parameter. This shows how important it is to use CableNut so you can fully optimize connections bandwidth.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 05:52:26 am by mccoffee »

Offline mnosteele

• Dr Tweak
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Dr Tweak
    • www.drtweak.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 06:50:39 am »

Glad to see a response, we don't delete posts here that we disagree with like DSLR, we allow people to post as they wish. :)

Could you please post a TweakTest result or TCP/IP Analyzer Test? I have installed SP2 on over 15 machines so far and what I wrote holds true for all of them. DrTcp or the TCPOptimizer no longer effects your RWIN value in the sniffer results.

8)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 07:25:15 am by mnosteele »
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2, WD Raptor 150GB, 8GB Crucial RAM, Win 7 Ultimate