Author Topic: Latency calculations  (Read 459 times)

Offline garyasta

• A New Nut
  • I'm a llama!
Latency calculations
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:56:24 pm »
Hi
I have WinXP installed with a 56k modem. On doing a latency test "tracert www.tweakxp.com", i received latency readings up to 4003ms with a large number in the 3000's. The modem speed at the time (I think) was about 50.6Kbps. When i tried to add this figure to the calculator at "www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php", i was advised that the figure was too large and eventually used the default (nil values entered) settings to calculate.
Have you any advice on this?

Cheers
Gary

mccoffee

Re:Latency calculations
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:21:04 pm »
With latency that high that usually means you got something wrong with the line it's self i would ask the phone company to do a line check and see if they notice any promblems.
http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=1361 this guide would help with the dial up tweaks.

What's odd is if you had line trouble you are connection pretty fast  with rwin and dial up i would just stick with 8760  the lower the better with dial up it's hard to tweak anway i'll explain.

The phone line could only carry 33.6 by limitions by copper, all depends what server you are trying to connect to the busier the server the more slowness you have.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 10:22:13 pm by mccoffee »

Offline j79zlr

• The crew
  • Senior Nut
  • mmmmm BSD
    • j79zlr's Tips and Tweaks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 07:29:50 pm »
you don't need to enter the latency value when using my settings page for 56k.  

Offline membert

• A New Nut
  • I"m a Single Father Of 2 Sons 14an16.
    • HomePage
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 07:10:43 am »
Yes I have the same ?'s ::) how do we find out what the best latency is for our mechines or provider.  I didn't put anything in the generator for the settings and it gave me Latency of 200 is this correct if so then that means high on Latency is better am I correct here.  Well anyways just a question thanks for your time have a good day. :-*
Not A Smart Man:-)