Author Topic: DSL wiring an easy fix  (Read 13610 times)

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
DSL wiring an easy fix
« on: May 20, 2002, 02:16:49 pm »
Over the past two years with DSL and the little things that can effect speed with it.

Like your wiring to your Modem/bridge at your computer.
I recently had the benefit to work with a DSL/Phone administrator from the local telco here. We wanted to see if there was a way to increase his speed to his DSL at the time we tested he was getting 87% of his connection speed on Download and 90% of the upload speed.
We did the normal tweaking, which he had about 99% perfect by my standard.
So next we looked at his wiring he has a small network and we confirmed the Cat5e wiring was perfect for networking.
That left one last thing that we could do on his home.
We looked at the wiring from the Phone box on the outside of the house to the modem.
It’s a shared system that needs filters for the phones to work. The wiring to his Modem/bridge was the standard wiring you find everywhere..
That turned out to be the weakest link on his system We rewired it and got 100% of his connection and his connection is at over 12000 feet from the CO

Here’s a link to the full article on how we rewired his phones and removed all the Filters with the exception of one.

here's the link http://www.dslnuts.com/DSLwiring.shtml

Since wiring might differ from yours, and this article is new. We would love to here your opinion on some changes that might be needed.
I also did this very change on my DSL and noticed a 100kbps speed increase to about 98% or almost back to what I had before Earthlink had all the problems with their network this past January through March

Thanks
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline BigAmp

• A code & Music &quotNut"
  • The crew
  • Certifiable Nut
  • I'm a llama! ..: !?! :.. SWEET!
Re:DSL wiring an easy fix
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2002, 03:03:50 pm »
great wiring job. the only way I could think of to get better wiring after that is have the DSL on it own line with only that outlet and the same wiring from the box to the outlet.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2002, 03:27:22 pm »

great wiring job. the only way I could think of to get better wiring after that is have the DSL on it own line. with only that outlet and the same wiring from the box to the outlet.

No its even better if its on its own line all the way to the CO with only 2 hops to the Internet like mine  ;D

I got real lucky with that part.. But as of late it hasnt made a big differnce,  :( It used to  ;D
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline Bret

• Junior Nut
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2002, 06:18:58 pm »
Late last year I was having a problem with losing sync in the evenings. After many calls to TS, and not getting this resolved, I decided to do a little research of my own. To make a long story short, I ended up wiring my DSL up in a way almost identical to yours (with only very minor differences) and have not had a problem since.

Offline Bimmer

• Assist Administrator Nut
  • Junior Nut
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2002, 10:18:56 pm »
Time to buy AT&T stock while it's at $13.31 a share.

Offline Bimmer

• Junior Nut
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2002, 10:20:45 pm »
Time to buy AT&T stock while it's at $13.31 a share.

Offline Bimmer

• Junior Nut
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2002, 10:22:46 pm »
OOPS, sorry for the 2x post, just got a little excited about stock