Author Topic: 100Mbps/100Mbps Tweak settings?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Hagbard

  • A New Nut
  • *
  • Posts: 1
100Mbps/100Mbps Tweak settings?
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:56:00 am »
Hi, I'm new to this since I've got full speed with my previous ISP 10 Mbps/10 Mbps but now I got 100 Mbps/100 Mbps on a fibre net and can't really get what I was hoping for.

My ISP tells me I should be able to at least reach 75-80 Mbps on a regular basis. I got me a new router, Netgear WPTN834, that's supposed to have a throughput of 94 Mbps with firewall settings off. I have the SPI on so I guess it should be some 20-25% lower. My previous router Netgear WGT624v2 maxed out at 20 Mbps.

Depending on which test I use I get very uncomparable numbers.

Sorry forgot TCP/IP Analyzer Test and I have Win XP SP2.
Quote
SpeedGuide.net TCP/IP Analyzer


TCP properties for IP = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX ()
Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.

TCP options string = 020405b40103030501010402
 
MTU = 1500
MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
 
MSS = 1460
Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.
 
Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 1541760
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 5 bits (scale factor of 10)
Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 48180

RWIN seems to be an excessively large number. If you're on a line lower than 20 Mbps (that is not satellite), consider using a smaller value.
RWIN is a multiple of MSS
Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
 64240 (MSS x 44)
 
bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 61670.4 kbps (7708.8 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your TCP Window limits you to: 24668.16 kbps (3083.52 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
 
MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
 
Time to live left = 123 hops
TTL value is ok.
 
Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
 
IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

My ISP uses a Java applicaton and I get 47-49 Mbps in and 27-28 Mbps out with it. This is the test report, I'm a total newbie to this so I don't understand much.
Quote
WEB100 Kernel Variables:
Client: localhost/127.0.0.1
CurMSS: 1460
X_Rcvbuf: 87380
X_Sndbuf: 65536
AckPktsIn: 1
AckPktsOut: 0
BytesRetrans: 0
CongAvoid: 0
CongestionOverCount: 0
CongestionSignals: 0
CountRTT: 1
CurCwnd: 2920
CurRTO: 204
CurRwinRcvd: 1540448
CurRwinSent: 6912
CurSsthresh: -616
DSACKDups: 0
DataBytesIn: 218
DataBytesOut: 1372
DataPktsIn: 1
DataPktsOut: 3
DupAcksIn: 0
ECNEnabled: 0
FastRetran: 0
MaxCwnd: 2920
MaxMSS: 1460
MaxRTO: 204
MaxRTT: 4
MaxRwinRcvd: 1541760
MaxRwinSent: 6912
MaxSsthresh: 0
MinMSS: 1440
MinRTO: 204
MinRTT: 4
MinRwinRcvd: 1540448
MinRwinSent: 5840
NagleEnabled: 1
OtherReductions: 0
PktsIn: 2
PktsOut: 3
PktsRetrans: 0
RcvWinScale: 8
SACKEnabled: 3
SACKsRcvd: 0
SendStall: 0
SlowStart: 1
SampleRTT: 4
SmoothedRTT: 4
SndWinScale: 5
SndLimTimeRwin: 0
SndLimTimeCwnd: 0
SndLimTimeSender: 73338
SndLimTransRwin: 0
SndLimTransCwnd: 0
SndLimTransSender: 1
SndLimBytesRwin: 0
SndLimBytesCwnd: 0
SndLimBytesSender: 1372
SubsequentTimeouts: 0
SumRTT: 4
Timeouts: 0
TimestampsEnabled: 0
WinScaleRcvd: 5
WinScaleSent: 8
DupAcksOut: 0
StartTimeUsec: 505968
Duration: 40309968
c2sData: 5
c2sAck: 5
s2cData: 5
s2cAck: 9
half_duplex: 0
link: 100
congestion: 0
bad_cable: 0
mismatch: 0
spd: 0.15
bw: 2784.73
loss: 0.000001000
avgrtt: 4.00
waitsec: 0.00
timesec: 0.00
order: 0.0000
rwintime: 0.0000
sendtime: 1.0000
cwndtime: 0.0000
rwin: 11.7627
swin: 0.5000
cwin: 0.0223
rttsec: 0.004000
Sndbuf: 65536
aspd: 0.00000
CWND-Limited: 43607.42

The theoretical network limit is 2784.73 Mbps
The NDT server has a 32.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 125.0 Mbps
Your PC/Workstation has a 1505.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 2940.67 Mbps
The network based flow control limits the throughput to 5.57 Mbps

Client Data reports link is 'FastE', Client Acks report link is 'FastE'
Server Data reports link is 'FastE', Server Acks report link is '10 Gig'
When I use tptest against a swedish standard test site I get 33-35 Mbps in and 55-60 Mbps out.

I've tried different settings in Cablenut but if I use the recommended:
Quote
DefaultReceiveWindow = multiply your ISPs download caps in kilobytes by 1024
DefaultSendWindow = multiply your ISPs upload caps in kilobytes by 1024

those numbers are way too high and I can't get anything to work.

Some good advice and tips would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 05:05:01 am by Hagbard »

mccoffee

  • Guest
Re: 100Mbps/100Mbps Tweak settings?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 12:30:44 pm »
try these out see what happens

DefaultReceiveWindow = 921600
DefaultSendWindow = 256000
DisableAddressSharing = 1
InitialLargeBufferCount = 200
InitialMediumBufferCount = 480
InitialSmallBufferCount = 640
LargeBufferSize = 819200
MaxFastTransmit = 64000
MediumBufferSize = 150400
Priority Boost = 0
SmallBufferSize = 12800
TransmitWorker = 32
FastSendDatagramThreshhold = 4096
EnableFastRouteLookup = 1
EnablePMTUDiscovery = 1
IgnorePushBitsOnReceives = 0
GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize = 251120
MaxFreeTcbs = 8000
MaxHashTableSize = 16384
MaxNormLookupMemory = 5000000
SackOpts = 1
SynAttackProtect = 1
Tcp1323Opts = 1
TcpLogLevel = 1
TcpMaxDupAttacks = 3
TcpMaxHalfOpen = 100
TcpMaxHalfOpenRetired = 80
TcpRecvSegmentSize = 1460
TcpSendSegmentSize = 1460
TcpTimedWaitDelay = 30
TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer = 0
TcpWindowSize = 251120
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server = 20
MaxConnectionsPerServer = 10
DefaultTimeToLive = 64
DefaultUserTOSSetting = 0
TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 6
DefaultTOSValue = 240