Author Topic: Day Light Saving Change for 2007 melt down !  (Read 938 times)

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Day Light Saving Change for 2007 melt down !
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:40:57 pm »
Day Light Saving Change for 2007
Published: 2007-01-31,
Last Updated: 2007-01-31 20:15:05 UTC
by Deborah Hale (Version: 3)
First of all I have to ask... How many people know about the upcoming change to Daylight Saving Time this year?  How many are aware that it starts earlier this year and ends later?  It is amazing to me that when you start talking about this subject a lot of folks say change... what change? 

For those of you that don't know there is a change in the start and end dates for Daylight Saving Time this year.  It will start on Sunday, March 11th, 2007 at 2:00am and will end on Sunday, November 4th, 2007.  So for 2007 DST starts 3 weeks earlier on the second Sunday of March and ends a week later on the first Sunday of November.  This change was made as attempt to reduce energy consumption. 

So what needs to happen this year to facilitate the change in DST and what will the impact be. 

Yesterday it suddenly dawned on me that this change was about 5 weeks away.  I started doing some research on how it will affect my company and what we would need to do to our PC's, servers and equipment.  Let's just say, I should have thought of this earlier. (But I am still one step ahead of those of you that don't realize the change is set to happen). 

Here is what I found out.

First of all things like VCR's, DVD's, DVR's, may have some problems.  They won't realize that the time change takes place 3 weeks earlier so that show that you thought you were recording may not record at all. (Now in the case of 24 that would be devastating to me.  If I miss 24, I may go into melt down. ...  Only kidding.)

Now what about cell phones, PDA's, Fax Machines, Time Clocks, switches, routers, NTP appliances and PBX's?  How many of them have the code imbedded to change to DST on the first Sunday of April and the last Sunday in October? This is just the tip of the iceberg.  Each company will have to look at the impact that this change will have on you.

According to Microsoft these are their products that will be affected by the change.

Microsoft products affected by the DST legislation
Windows Client
Windows Server
Windows Mobile
Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services
Microsoft Exchange Server
Microsoft Office Outlook
Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Microsoft Biztalk Server
Microsoft SQL Server Notification Services
Microsoft Entourage

Now for the OS's and how they are going to handle it.

Windows 2000 Server and Professional

The news is not good for those of us still forced to run Windows 2000, either server or workstation

Read more here
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2142

Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.