Author Topic: Unknown printer showing up on my computer.......  (Read 2625 times)

Offline silascat2

• Junior Nut
  • !
Unknown printer showing up on my computer.......
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:14:37 pm »
I am not sure where to post this, but yesterday I was having printer problems (again) and when I went to the control panel there was one there called Kevins_printer - ???  It was not the default printer, but I have no clue where it came from.  I deleted it immediately.  I was afraid it might be something someone remotely installed on my computer (how?).

Any idea?  Is has not shown up again - believe me I am checking daily now. I do shut my computer off every night but occasionally forget.

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
Re: Unknown printer showing up on my computer.......
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:29:13 pm »
Check  in control panel event  viewer system logs  ,and also security logs see if there is a record of it's istallation. The only way that printer could've been installed remotely is they have adminstration rights ,and remote destop is enabled on the computer.

I hightly doubt though anyone would just go in ,and install a printer remotely though .

Offline silascat2

• Junior Nut
  • !
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:36:43 pm »
I dougt it too, but this is my home computer and no one touches it but me.  I'll do as you suggested and see what I find.   Thanks again.  :)

ps-what am I looking for??  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:40:33 pm by silascat2 »

Offline silascat2

• Junior Nut
  • !
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:59:38 pm »
Under Event Viewer<Security there was one "Failure Audit" by the source "Secuity" category "Policy Change" but that is all I found.

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:41:50 pm »
look in the system  logs when the printer got changed if it does show anything on the printer

Offline silascat2

• Junior Nut
  • !
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:19 am »
I didn't see anything referring to the printer so I guess I'm  :)safe.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:26:24 am »
I hope this got resolved.. But if it didnt I'de print a bunch of test pages on his printer then delete his printer from the list..

I'm gonna assume your connected via wireless.. If so right click on "My Computer" and click on Properties then the "Computer Name" tab. Click on the "Change" button and rename your Workgroup
(dont use your name)
I'm gonna assume the workgroup name was MS-HOME which is the Microsoft default.
Kevins printer was shared out by him unsecured and you just got lucky and found it...

The other problem if your on cable and cable goes down for a small period of time XP when connected direct to cable can sometimes find a open network printer over the cable line.. Don't happen very often but it can.. I did it with windows 2000 on purpose a long time ago.. I printed in the cable company office offering to help fix there security issue ;D

Again I hope this was resolved ;D
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.