Author Topic: Microsoft to Keep XP in Harness  (Read 794 times)

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
Microsoft to Keep XP in Harness
« on: December 23, 2008, 06:18:44 am »
Microsoft to Keep XP in Harness
Print Version
E-Mail Article
Reprints
By Erika Morphy
E-Commerce Times
Part of the ECT News Network
12/22/08 12:12 PM PT

Microsoft was eager to put Windows XP out to pasture -- thus creating a void for its Vista operating system to fill -- but consumer reaction bordering on hostile made a monkey out of Vista and a hero out of XP. Now, even Microsoft is apparently resigned to put its marbles in the Windows 7 basket, and it needs XP to stick around a while longer until the new OS is ready for prime time.''

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/65598.html

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Re: Microsoft to Keep XP in Harness
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »
Not to bump the Santa Norad article..
But I decided to call HP direct in Washington today to ask about getting something with XP or XP pro on it.
HP's comments on the only machine with XP on it was a small mini book that only had a max of 1 Gig of memory.. Just not enough to power Vista.. Everything else has Vista on it and according to the Gentleman I talked to they had not made any plans to poll back any machines to have a option to buy XP on it.. When I asked.. Then why bother with the lawsuite with Microsoft I was politely told that they can't make a comment on that..
So then I asked how many calls a day was he getting asking for a machine with XP on it ? I was told that he personally recieves 5 calls a day requesting note books and desktop machines with XP.
While he didnt come out and say so he sounded polite but frustrated as if to say there sales are in the Dumps.. I had also told him that it had to be frustrating to have to tell people that they couldnt buy a computer with what they wanted on it and he agreed.

I brought up the fact that I knew hundreds of small businesses and that they "can't upgrade to Vista" and that I had another supplier I could buy from that still has legal copies to install of XP threw a business department of that other company.. I also would hope that in the next few months that HP would have a change of heart to be able to give a choice of OS again like way back in the beginning of the company.. His comment back was to stay in touch and check back in the next month or so.

I brought up one other thing that not to many have.. I asked how the sales of HP machines were doing with there other partners like Best Buy and His comment was he fealt sorry for the distributors cause there sales are way down.

I will say this while it seems Microsoft has made a giant mistake with Vista.. Its not all Vista's fault.. This is the Fault of Microsoft listening to Apple users and not getting enough info from REAL Microsoft users. We didnt need a OS to look like Apple and we didnt need to have a OS with billions of NAG screens we just needed to be able to have a choice..
Something people wern't allowed to have..

Gotta toss this in a touch... The RAnt part ;D
Some of us still remember the original NT and remember Windows 3
While programmers back then were just getting better MS brought out newer OS that complicated things a little more which is understandable.
But we also need Servers that dont have bloat and OS that don't have bloatware in them
Windows 2000 with its problems wasnt bloated. WinXP has had its issues and a lot people didnt like it at first but microsoft found ways to fix it cause the bloat wasnt there. We need that out of Microsoft again. If they would just add one thing to the MS OS they could do it again.
Anytime the registry CORE changed in criticle area's to have a password screen come up.
ANYTIME the CORE system files are accsessed force a Admin password.. Everything else is secondary.
Time is valuble to customers and the money they spend.. Vista doubled the cost of doing business for customers with there IT dept. So hopefully microsoft will get it again..
To bad Bill G retired 
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 02:24:31 pm »
My mother got a bunch of new computers from her scholol and she got both vista and xp.  Vista is working good in that enviorment since they could have more user acess control since the kids like to tinker around.

I say it before and say it again  I think vista didn't get a fair shake to begin with imho.  I will agree that the choice of upgrading should be up to the end user though.
 Xp is  probabay more stable of an os since it's been here since what 2001 I thnk maybe later ,and more updates for it on the other hand: vista had many tools that xp should've had.

Not sure if you looked at the whole windows deployment ?   Zero touch installs why spend extra money on ghost lisences'.   

We could beat this whole debate to death  I still think you should try vista with sp1 ,or wait till 2  pick up a book on it and read up heck i'll mail you a copy with a book one with alot of pictures hehe  There is alot more to this OS to behonest I"m still learning more features everyday with vista. 

Sure you can go get xp buy the media center ,or download more tools and skins embed things yourself why waste all that time??

That's just me though  ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:27:32 pm by mccoffee »

Offline chpalmer

• "Loose Screw"
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 03:19:26 am »

We must have bought our company HP's right at the end about 6 mos ago. Im against the wall with stuff that wont do vista either and the companies have no plans to go there.

I know an agency still using windows 3.11 on the terminals in their cars...  :o

;D

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 09:05:36 am »
Ive said this all along... It's all based on economics.. AND while one business after the other is closing it was a real bad time to push a NEW OS that required large upgrades..

Case and point. You can run Windows 3.1 on a 100meg harddrive and still have room for programs and space to save a few documents. When windows 95 came out it required a lot of companies to upgrade and they did to 20 Gig drives over a 2 year period.
Win2000 came out and you didnt need to much in upgrades. Then WinXP came out some of the upgrades were already enough to support the upgrade to XP. Vista comes out in the worst econimee and everyone is basically Forced to upgrade everything or else.. The "Or Else" is the problem esp. in this type of econimee.
Vista isnt bad just badly managed during a poor poor time in the world.

Not everyone is a Microsoft Partner on the partner plan and not all businesses like the MS lease deal due to the upgrades.

AND I Really hate saying this but after the first of the year you just might see a large amount of businesses, not unlike Tweeter and Office depot or linens and things going way out of business forever. That will add to the Unemployment..
These are extreemly tough times... If your not sure goto realitytrac input your own zip code to veiw how many homes are going into forclosure. We have ove 685 in our Zip code alone..

So rather then knock a really bad NAG screen of a operating system maybe we should be looking at the really bad econimee and why MicroSoft should keep that outdated old Windows XP around for another year instead of 4 months to make sure Windows 7 can be released without screwing up the economics more..
OR how it was bad enough that I had to go out and buy a workstation for here all due to economics.. 
IF I had it my way I would have replaced 4 machines yesterday but that wasnt in the cards..
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.