Author Topic: [XP PRO SP3] settings for a fiber connection (SDSL 50Mb)  (Read 8725 times)

Offline chocka

• A New Nut
Re: [XP PRO SP3] settings for a fiber connection (SDSL 50Mb)
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 03:35:20 am »
Ok well your ping times looks great  the only other thing I could think of why you are slow is this.  Do you know how far you live from the central office ,or a remote terminal? the further away the slower you will be..    If no call the isp up they should be able to tell you

Also put your network card in 100 full duplex mode   Try turning the modem of for about 10mins see what happens aswell.   The link is a guide on how to change the duplex.   One last thing try reinstalling your network card drivers ,or see if there is a more current one at the manufacture's site.

http://ots.iit.edu/network/windowsxp_fullduplex.php

These are my settings of the Intel Pro 1000 GT. So far I find, I use the latest last driver.

There is also any difference to explain. I have a fibreglass connection, which means it is not shared like cable/dsl and there is no infleunce in distance from the central office like cable/dsl

I also tried your last settings, but I do not know what happend but after a reboot my PC was going very slow. Also tried to open speedtest.net, but after 2 minutes the website was still not opened. So I imported the first settings you advised and reboot again. But still no progres. Its only getting worse.

@Dannjr, sorry for the confusion, but have no SDSL. It is a fibreglass connection with the same downloadspeed as uploadspeed. So like SDSL. I live in the Netherlands. May be this gives you more info http://www.reggefiber.nl/Default.aspx?pageID=40
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 04:15:53 am by chocka »

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 04:42:46 am »
untill Dan signs back give thease a shot odd though never heard of the fiberglass medium or atleast where the distance to the c.o. ,or rt isn't a factor the lines will have meet somewhere to get ont he isp's servers odd.

Like the saying goes you learn something new everday.

See if the settings help on the speedtest.

DefaultReceiveWindow = blank
DefaultSendWindow = blank
DisableAddressSharing = 1
InitialLargeBufferCount = 100
InitialMediumBufferCount =240
InitialSmallBufferCount = 320
LargeBufferSize = 819200
MaxFastTransmit = 64000
MediumBufferSize = 150400
Priority Boost = 0
SmallBufferSize = 12800
TransmitWorker = 32
FastSendDatagramThreshhold = 4096
EnableFastRouteLookup = 1
EnablePMTUDiscovery = 1
IgnorePushBitsOnReceives = 0
GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize = 1027840
MaxFreeTcbs = 8000
MaxHashTableSize = 16384
MaxNormLookupMemory = 5000000
SackOpts = 1
SynAttackProtect = blank
Tcp1323Opts = 1
TcpLogLevel = 1
TcpMaxDupAttacks = 3
TcpMaxHalfOpen = 100
TcpMaxHalfOpenRetired = 80
TcpRecvSegmentSize = 1460
TcpSendSegmentSize = 1460
TcpTimedWaitDelay = 30
TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer = 0
TcpWindowSize =1027840
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server =blank
MaxConnectionsPerServer = 10
DefaultTimeToLive = 64
DefaultUserTOSSetting = 0
TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 6
DefaultTOSValue = blank
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 04:46:33 am by mccoffee »

Offline chocka

• A New Nut
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 02:55:18 pm »
Results of the last settings:

using internet, like this site is very fast. But to open speedtest, it takes some time and the results of speedtest are to cry.

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 06:51:00 pm »
try testing at local sites   then  i'm kinda wondering if it's a distance betwen you and the  test is what is throwing us off..

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:05 am »
Try these settings I think your downloads and surfing will at least balance out well with these and if the ISP is running there own TOS at least you'll be a step ahead of the game..

DefaultReceiveWindow = 947200
DefaultSendWindow = 128680
DisableAddressSharing = 1
InitialLargeBufferCount = 200
InitialMediumBufferCount = 480
InitialSmallBufferCount = 640
LargeBufferSize = 819200
MaxFastTransmit = 64000
MediumBufferSize = 150400
Priority Boost = 0
SmallBufferSize = 12800
TransmitWorker = 32
FastSendDatagramThreshhold = 4096
EnableFastRouteLookup = 1
EnablePMTUDiscovery = 1
IgnorePushBitsOnReceives = blank
GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize = 1027840
MaxFreeTcbs = blank
MaxHashTableSize = blank
MaxNormLookupMemory = blank
SackOpts = 1
SynAttackProtect = 1
Tcp1323Opts = blank
TcpLogLevel = blank
TcpMaxDupAttacks = blank
TcpMaxHalfOpen = blank
TcpMaxHalfOpenRetired = blank
TcpRecvSegmentSize = 1412
TcpSendSegmentSize = 1412
TcpTimedWaitDelay = 30
TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer = blank
TcpWindowSize =1027840
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server = 20
MaxConnectionsPerServer = 10
DefaultTimeToLive = 117
DefaultUserTOSSetting = 0
TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 6
DefaultTOSValue = 232

More..
A few years back I had the fortune of helping someone that has a Fiber line in Japan.
its allot like DSL only over fiber with a 1500 MTU
The problem we found was a fiber relay between his home and the ISP where he went up to the web. The Relay cut the speed he was supposed to get in half.
It took him making several phone calls before he finally got a Tech to admit there was a relay on the line.
The Relay can be used to double the distance to and from the ISP allowing them to get more sales. and more connections sold.
I could get into this real deep but unfortunatly it might take a lifetime..

My suggestion is try the above settings. With the reboot of course
Then find a Fast server with at least a 8 to 10 meg download to test on near or closer to home.
I tryed the speedtest.net site this morning on a 6 Mb connection and it was off by 1Mb
There has to be some fast servers in Germany you can test off of like say finding a download on the AGFA website
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline chocka

• A New Nut
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 01:20:14 pm »
So far no succes at all

What i've done today. cleaned PC in safemode. un-install a lot fo software includes Firefox and Newsleecher. Cleaned the PC; register and run O&O defrag. Used TCP repiar from XP-smoker.com. Un-installed the intel pro 1000 GT and tested the line with FTP. The FTP speed is great, a file of 100mb gets a speed of 8MBs

After that only installed Firefox (clean) with only flash and shockwave otherwise speedtest.net do not work. Installed the last settings from Dann and this are the result:  http://www.speedtest.net/result/383451375.png  :po:

@Dann, does you have link or sometime from which I can use to dwonload from an AGFA site as you mentioned.

Offline chocka

• A New Nut
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 02:29:19 pm »
QUESTION

cablenuts is better than TCP optimizer?

Somebody ask about cablenuts and why I do not use  TCP optimizer, because he use TCP optimizer and do not know about cablenuts.

Somewhere in time I found out there was something like cablenuts and start using it since I opened a topic on this forum. But otherwise I do not have the knonhow how to use it.

Why do I not get the same info from retrive from registery as I saved your mentioned settings, because than the most of the fields stay empty???

If I use delete cablenut tweaks, is this set everything back as XP-Smoker.com does with TCP repair program???