Author Topic: Trying to run a defrag  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Kap1

• A New Nut
Trying to run a defrag
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:34:28 pm »
and everytime I do I get an error message telling me that defrag detects a chkdsk of volume on E is scheduled to run I need to run a chkdsk/f but I have no clue as I have no chkdsk scheduled to run & have no idea how to run a chkdsk.
Can someone tell me in nontechnical terms how to get around this chkdsk and run a defrag?

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
Re: Trying to run a defrag
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:50 pm »
double click my computer then  highlight the hard drive  right click and then select properties then tools.  In tools  click on the error checking  and it should prompt ya saying it will run the next time the computer starts.. 

Offline Kap1

• A New Nut
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:46:18 am »
I get a prompt telling me it can't check the disk

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:12:56 am »
here is a few other ways that it can be done give it a try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Offline Kap1

• A New Nut
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:12:57 pm »
I can't get there either, I keep getting an error message that the page is unavailable I need to diagnose my internet connection but when I try that I get the message there is nothing wrong with my connection. I can get to the Microsoft home page & the download page but not the support or contact pages.

I'm about ready to chuck the computer & go buy a new one.

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 07:42:40 pm »

Requirements to install and to use this Guided Help
You must be logged on to Windows by using a computer administrator account to install and to use this Guided Help.
You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided Help.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt
Click Start, and then Run.
In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
Use one of the following procedures:
To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:44 pm »
I'm getting this in to late and mccoffee is doing great but lets try a simple command line
only cause this is starting to sound real familier and that someone might have been on monster.com and got hijacked

goto the "Start" button on the bottom left
click it and Click "Run"
in the run box Type
cmd
then click ok
in the black screen (DOS Screen)
Type
chkdsk C: /f
you will be prompted to have it check the drive the next time you restart
type Y and enter then go restart the computer.

if your not prompted to check the drive on the reboot then your not logged in as an admin even if you are you might have been..
I also saw this last month where I had a machine that was hijacked by a small peice of software that was installed. it changed the way the system booted up.
It caused the system to boot up real slow and even changed the desk top.
and even changed Admin rights of the user.

At that point you might
Disconnect the computer from the network/cable modem or DSL modem.
reboot and see if a error pops up on the screen durring a new reboot.
Once its rebooted without being connected to the web
do a system restore to a earlier date
that involves
"Start"
"Programs"
"Accessories"
"System Tools"
then finally "System Restore"
Hopefully you have a restore point..

If neither of the fixes above take care of the problem..
let US know

Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.