Author Topic: Acer ASPIRE REVO - Report  (Read 12251 times)

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
Re: Acer ASPIRE REVO - Report
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 07:38:32 am »
The Fan has two settings in bios.. Auto which is what I'm leaving it at. and disable to run at full speed.
The Automatic setting will probably add life to the fan itself and when the system inactive its slowed to about 35% thats more then likely why the heat starts to drop during a load.

With the Video set to turn off in 10 minutes 15 for the harddrive and standby mode about 15 or 20 it works out that the system probably only gets the higher temps when everything first spins up.

Im gonna go dig threw the Dungeon to see what type of optical drives I have sitting around and pop it in an external case.
hopefully I have a Good DVD/RW I can run a movie threw it and monitor the system with..

Flash wasnt as friendly threw the newest firefox but did work once I changed settings noted above.. Im pretty sure a DVD would work well.

Maybe before I get this thing outta here I can take some pictures but there's tons of pictures out there. The only thing that there isnt allot of is the small keyboard they send with it.... more like a laptop keyboard..   

Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline mccoffee

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 02:13:28 pm »
I wonder how trickey those are to take apart maybe you can add some more compound to gpu and cpu.   

Hope is well  on your end don't ask about mine i won't tell you anyway...

:big: :big:

Offline Buggyman

• Certifiable NoOb
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Buggy!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 02:49:38 pm »
Quote from: mccoffee
That's just like my  english papper

:mutley:

Buggy :buggy:

Offline Buggyman

• Certifiable NoOb
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Buggy!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 02:53:47 pm »
Quote from: dannjr

Did I mention I'm sitting 15 feet away from the 50" Sony TV / Monitor typing this..

OH.. I feel sorry for the laptop like that swifer commercial where the Broom and Mop feel left out.  :mutley:

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:29:50 am »
I wonder how trickey those are to take apart maybe you can add some more compound to gpu and cpu.   

Hope is well  on your end don't ask about mine i won't tell you anyway...

:big: :big:

One screw and pull back the cover.....
I'm sure there's plenty of compound...

I decided to utilize the windows power setting a little different.. For me anyway..
I have the Video shutting down after 20 minutes, HD after 25 and Standby at 35 minutes..
I let it sit for 45 minutes then brought it out of standby and the system was up right away by just hitting the power button..
Temps at that point where room temp..
Now I turned off standby and brought it back up and the Temps where more like a normal unit till the program SpeedFan added its little load and that brought the temps up to the point of the first post..

Right now I I decided to try hibernate with standby disabled just to see what it will do.. So I'll chk on that in an hour   
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:42:47 am »
Quote from: dannjr

Did I mention I'm sitting 15 feet away from the 50" Sony TV / Monitor typing this..

OH.. I feel sorry for the laptop like that swifer commercial where the Broom and Mop feel left out.  :mutley:

With one of these I can use it mounted to the back of the TV and take the 17inch laptop to the other house and put the 15inch laptop in the bag for service work where it belongs.. Gonna Try this on a Mitsubishi 1080i projection TV downtown for someone this week and buy two more.. Maybe one ASUS and the ACER for the Mitsu TV if it works... This one will still goto the marina..
The 2 ACER for here and the ASUS for down there if all works.. Then maybe 5 of these foer an office.. So its just getting past the HEAT and teaching people to keep there mits off the power settings..

OHH I also tryed Testing the clone yesterday and it blue screened.. I have to rebuild the Clone.. Which means setting the Bios to SATA IDE.. It was BSOD in SAFE Mode right at the Video setting. and woulkd reboot..
Its also seeing the USB drive as a Drive in bios instead of a Removable USB which could be the real problem when it trys to power up..
Without being able to make bootable/running clones I refuse to use these...So I'm still digging

AS for having Optical drives you dont need one on a network.. Its called share out the drive from another machine     

Offline dannjr

• Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 10:33:22 am »
Hibernate works but still a pain in the butt So I re-enabled Standby to a 4 hour setting and Video off after 15min and HD off at 20min
It returns to the desktop faster then hibernate.. Hibernate took an extra 10 seconds to get outta the sleep mode..
Temps in both cases dropped the same...

In an office I would get all sorts of complaints about them bringing it outta standby if it was set to much less then that..

Now I gotta figure out the Clone issue.. Seems Acronis 7 server edition that can clone a RAID has problems with certain SATA setups..
I really don't want to add to the Cloning process with a BARTPE disk.. So gonna go see if there's a update that will take the SATA drivers OR the other option may be to boot to safe mode and start the clone prosess from there.. Either way I gotta put the SATA drive in IDE compatibility mode