Author Topic: Elementary Electronics Makes A Prediction  (Read 2670 times)

Offline chpalmer

• "Loose Screw"
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
Elementary Electronics Makes A Prediction
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:02:08 am »

When I was growing up my parents had bought me a subscription to "Elementary Electronics" magazine. Even at 10 years old I had a pretty good understanding of electricity and how the power got from the electric meter of the house to the tv in the living room...   So needless to say I looked through the magazine from cover to cover the moment it arrived...

My favorite issue, and the only one I remember to this day, showed a modern kitchen of the time (1978) with a woman with dark blonde hair in a bun, dressed in a button up shirt, apron, skirt to her knee's, nylons and heels with a broom in one hand and looking at a computer screen and her other hand on the keyboard. The scene included a large dot matrix printer on a shelf next to the table and the computer next to that. Id hope my wife would look like that from day to day.  She doesn't and I totally understand why now...  And probably because I dont look like Fabio as I get home also...  :P ;)

I can't imagine the authors or the readers of those articles though ever understanding what the future would become as they pondered woman storing their recipes, or the men of the households keeping track of vehicle maintenance, or banking records...  or visa versa.

But the prediction... Yes that prediction that many households by the next couple of decades, would own their own computer could not have been any better spot on...  I can't even tell you how many computers and related devices I have in the same room with me here without first counting them out. Then still I bet Id miss one or two. But I will tell you that my 16 port switch is filled. And I have a wireless access point that handles a few wireless devices in the house.

The point?  As we depend more and more on these devices in our day to day lives, and we remove ourselves further from the days of paper and relying on our outdoor skills, keeping track of our expenses and the little phone book next to the phone that would actually work during a power outage...  Would we be able to go back in a instant...  Could we still provide for our households and employee's if we lost the all important technology we have become so dependent on?

Keep this in mind. Things we buy have always gone up in price. Thats what inflation gets us. But the amount of things we buy and pay for are also increasing. 20 years ago, how many of us had cell bills and internet connection bills? Or "as seen on tv" items that we could call up and buy?   Don't know about you but my income isn't growing as fast as technology is.

I know one thing...   Id sure like to get a reprint copy of that magazine...

Offline chpalmer

• "Loose Screw"
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
Re: Elementary Electronics Makes A Prediction
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:40:01 am »

Wow- found it...

And how many of us would think that we could locate a magazine from 35 years ago just by typing on a keyboard on our personal computer??