Author Topic: U-verse comments and support here  (Read 5402 times)

Offline mike101

• A New Nut
Re: U-verse comments and support here
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »
When transitioning from AT&T DSL with a static IP package to U-Verse, is it still possible to remain the same static IP addresses as allocated for the DSL service?

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:16:03 am »
When transitioning from AT&T DSL with a static IP package to U-Verse, is it still possible to remain the same static IP addresses as allocated for the DSL service?

Hi Mike Welcome to the board..
The Fast and easy answer "Unfortunately No"

I had 2 locations with AT&T DSL 10 static IP's. I was Myth-ed at why the same company had to port us to new IP's.. U-verse is a complete different animal. On a different Layer of there network.

Since posting "AT&T Uverse Business STATIC IP Addresses" at this link http://www.dslnuts.com/discussion/index.php/topic,6394.0.html I can honestly say having U-verse with Static IP's I'm extreeeeeeeemly happy I did it.
We needed the bandwidth to deal with our servers esp. uploads and the 20plus domains and its been more reliable over what we had with AT&T DSL... Adding the pfSense was a big change for us as well. I'll probably jinx us But we have had no outages

Our older Grandfathered DSL connection from Cyberonic business is what this board(dslnuts) is running on So I hope you wont hold had against us... ;D broadbandnuts.com cablenut.com and this site with pictures http://www.mineolamarine.com/photos/ are running on the U-verse connection..

with our old DSL's we averaged  6gig in web pages now we average twice that and get more work done.
Heck one of our sites(without domains) averages 34 gig in just RDP per month.
OR
We're up to 12 U-verse locations co-located and out of that only one gave problems in the 1st two weeks with bad Motorola routers the 4th was a charm..

If you ask me how U-verse TV... I can't answer... We have Directv but its never sucked the bandwidth dry   

Well you got the simple answer and my Babble  :big:

Have a Great Happy NEW YEAR  :big:

Dan
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline mike101

• A New Nut
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 12:15:52 pm »

Hi Mike Welcome to the board..
The Fast and easy answer "Unfortunately No"

Well you got the simple answer and my Babble  :big:

Have a Great Happy NEW YEAR  :big:

Dan

Thank you for the welcome Dan and response. I look forward to learning quite a bit from the board and I already am.

The AT&T Sales Rep made it seem as though the switch over would be seamless and everything would work as it was before.  I'm glad I now know what to expect and may need to push out the transition date to a future one to allow me to prepare (set up a new box with NICs, perform the install, get ready to make DNS changes).

The upgrade is certainly worth it, my current plan has a 3mb down and a 384kbps up, though I'm sure the upload speed is more than what it states on paper. The AT&T rep also noted that the DSL circuit was shared and therefore subject to buffering and slower speeds while U-Verse would be much faster.

I've worked some with Pfsense, limited configuration however but I'm glad to know it is up to the job in getting the static IPs setup going. I don't have a TV subscription at the moment so anything over that would be a plus.

Thanks again and Have a great New Year!

Mike

Offline dannjr

• Main Certifiable NutcAsE
  • Administrator Nut
  • Certifiable Nut
  • Share your life. Be a organ donor other Bday 1998
    • DSLnuts | Broadbandnuts | Cablenut
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »
They can leave your DSL live while they do the circuit for the u-verse but they have to kill the dsl to go live with the U-verse since they like using the same pair over.
In some cases you could be down most of the day esp. if the U-verse and DSL are in the same area box.

You'll get connected via the two-wire or motorola and if everything is good you'll be taken to the at&t registration server and you'll go through the same old registration they been using for years.. Once it accepts your new email and password go a couple added steps and then test the connection make sure you can surf

The Tech on site will have your static IP addys not to be confused with the IP or subnet the AT&T router is connected to.. 

Do you know how many feet you are from the C.O and how many feet from the U-verse box?
If its the same or about then the pair switch over should go fast...

The fastest we ever had it switched over was 45 minutes.. The DSL pair was in the same box as the U-verse and we were less the 400 feet from the box including inside wire/fiber

In one case it took 3 days.(Really bad wire).. If you have a old KEY phone system DO NOT ALLOW then to jump inside of the control box... It caused a nightmare on one site... We had to replace the whole phone system.. AT&T did pay for the system to be replaced...

The plus....They will stay with it till its running... You might want to byte a couple times till its up and running... I have WELT in mine  :P ;D
Be a Organ Donor. A chance at life.
This site never spams or sells its list to anyone. No pop up's or scams
An inconvenience, but if you want to make omelettes, you have to break some eggs.

Offline mike101

• A New Nut
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:31 pm »
I'm happy to report that the U-verse install went well this past Friday. The tech had to kill DSL to switch over to U-verse, however I was able to keep the land line as is without transitioning it to U-verse. It took about 3-4 hours in all to complete the setup.

The U-verse box wasn't within line of sight and the Tech had to drive away. Per his explanation, there is fiber up to the C.O. From the CO it is ethernet up over the existing phone lines to the phone box. The Tech advised running a new Ethernet cable to the 2wire as there were multiple phone line outlets and the wires were old.

This is what took most of the time as he had to find a way to bring in the cable. Once everything was done it was a breeze. The tech looked up the IP addresses on his device. With one device up and running I was able to configure the remaining static addresses and it has been smooth sailing since then. Being prepared and knowing what to expect certainly helped  :)